Author Topic: Landlord spent thousands of $$$, noise is worse :(  (Read 3812 times)

susan

Landlord spent thousands of $$$, noise is worse :(
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:05:57 PM »
I've rented an apartment since 1993 that I love. The noise from the next door unit has been problematic for many years, and when the last tenant moved out, I persuaded my landlord to address the problem. I pleaded with both my landlord and his contractor to allow me to pay for a noise consultation, but noooooooo, the contractor knew exactly what to do. The sound that used to come through a shared wall has been totally mitigated (a staircase from that unit's L/R to upstairs bedroom/hallway, bathroom was rebuilt, etc., and whatever insulation used in that wall has virtually eliminated sounds of foot traffic, voices, music, etc.). The problem that remains is the noise I hear from the upstairs bedroom which is right above my living space. The contractor attempted to fix the problem, but it's actually worse now, and here's what he used ~ walls got R15 insulation and 1/2# sheetrock. The floor got carpet, pad, 15lb felt, 1/2# soundboard, 15lb felt, 1/2# plywood all layered in that order over the existing hardwood floor (which squeeked horribly and thudded loudly w/footsteps prior to the *repair*). I still hear footsteps, though they are now bearable, but the BIG problem is that airborne sounds are now MUCH, MUCH worse. I have access to the *problem* unit, as I help out with showing, renting it, etc., so I've been able to spend time in the unit, and the echo that now exists in the problem bedroom is one that was never there before, vacant or not. The tenant who lives there now has been concerned enough about the noise he creates that he doesn't even use the room, but he's going to have to begin using it within the next couple of months. I hear him talking on the phone, hear incoming voices (the worst) from his Bluetooth headset, hear the TV, hear his computer, etc. So, voices are the issue, and they are heard by me downstairs no matter whether they are loud or not. There's a possibility that my landlord may make some very simple and inexpensive adjustments, but what??? I've read about 1lb/sq ft MLV w/1/4" closed cell foam bonded to the underside, and I wonder if this might be the solution. The new carpet would have to be peeled back, and the MLV stalled, as anything more invasive just isn't going to fly. Since I will be making the recommendations, I need to give the contractor any info I receive here, hope it works, as this is my last and final chance to have anything done. Any and all suggestions will be hugely appreciated.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Landlord spent thousands of $$$, noise is worse :(
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »
The biggest part of your problem is that your ceiling is not decoupled.  You need to hang 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on resilient channels or hat channels+SSP clips.  Also, R-15 for a floor/ceiling is not enough. You need to fill up the cavity - R30 or R38.

Also remember to do good perimeter sealing before drywall mud and you'll be in good shape.

susan

Re: Landlord spent thousands of $$$, noise is worse :(
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
hi john....thanks for replying, and a couple of things in response to your advice ~ i wrote "walls got R15 insulation and 1/2# sheetrock. The floor got carpet, pad, 15lb felt, 1/2# soundboard, 15lb felt, 1/2# plywood all layered in that order over the existing hardwood floor", so the r15 insulation is in the walls upstairs, not in the floor (repairs that were done to floor also listed).....i sent a p.s. to my original post saying that the landlord will not do any work on my ceiling, so whatever is going to happen (if anything) must happen to the floor above.....the walls in that unit cannot be torn out again in order to accommodate the higher r insulations you suggest.....soooo, will mlv installed underneath the carpet (given what's already in place) help or not?.....again, the floor has carpet, pad, 15lb felt, 1/2# soundboard, 15lb felt, 1/2# plywood all layered in that order over the existing hardwood floor.....many thanks (again), susan

anything