Author Topic: Basement Ceiling help  (Read 3501 times)

ironman

Basement Ceiling help
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
I am finishing off my basement and the ceiling is open (new construction) I've done alot of research on a fairly economical yet effective way to keep noise from traveling down from hardwood floors and up from the basement. Although both are important the sound travleing down is probably the more important. I have had varying solutions and need help deciding what way to go.

1) 5/8 drywall with green glue on the subfloor between the joist, R19, sound clips with 1 layer of 5/8 drywall

2) R19, sound clips with 2 layers of drywall (and I have to deal with lowering electrical boxs to be flush somehow)

3) R19, sound clips with 2 layers of drywall and green glue between them

johnbergstromslc

Re: Basement Ceiling help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
I recommend option one, but with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on the subfloor as well as with the clips.  Drywall is the cheapest way to get mass on the walls/ceiling. 

Forget about the Green Glue - it's intended use is for existing construction, when you don't have an open cavity like you do.  If you do your soundproofing correctly, you won't need it; it won't add enough STC to be cost effective. 

It might seem like overkill, but I'd seal up all the seams and gaps in the joist/subfloor interfaces (as well any gaps between OSB panels) before installing the drywall.  It's likely the builders glued down your subfloor with construction adhesive and it's somewhat sealed, but sound will find any little gap or crack and leak through.  Don't spend too much on caulk for this purpose (but don't get the cheapest stuff, either).

As for electrical boxes, you can change to the 'old work' style.  If you get your wires in roughly the right place, you can cut holes after drywall is installed and pull your wires through.  Also, they sell electrical box extenders, too.

Also remember to do good sealing after the drywall is installed.  Get a good quality silicone caulking with good expansion so your joints will stay sealed.

ironman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. I prefer option 1 since it's the easiest too. What do you reccomend sealing the joist/subfloor etc with, the same good silicone?

That's interesting about the green glue. I have not heard anyone mention that, I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

Any idea on clips? I have had whisper clips and Iso max clips sugested.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:59:37 AM »
Thanks for the input. I prefer option 1 since it's the easiest too. What do you reccomend sealing the joist/subfloor etc with, the same good silicone?

That's interesting about the green glue. I have not heard anyone mention that, I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

Any idea on clips? I have had whisper clips and Iso max clips sugested.

Yeah, just plan on spending at least 4 bucks a tube for caulking.  You hardly need the expensive stuff, but stay away from the cheapo latex 'painters caulk'.  It has it's uses, but it will crack and when it dries has no expansion at all. 

I assumed you didn't have an extreme noise problem, so no sense spending money on expensive fixes, like Green Glue.  In a single-family detached house, A STC 50 partition will do the job as well as a costlier STC 60 one; it will be damn quiet!

Isomax clips are good - I recommend them.

anything