Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Help! New Condo owner suffering from traffic noise  (Read 3322 times)

newowner

Help! New Condo owner suffering from traffic noise
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »

Hello all, this is a great source of information but it's pretty intimidating to take in.  I just purchased a condo in Los Angeles and have moved in <1week ago....haven't been able to get a good night's sleep as my unit is on the ground floor about 20 feet from a busy street (Olympic blvd, 3 lanes going each direction).  First time homebuyer's mistake...It's a brand new 2 bd/2 bth with FIVE sliding doors (ranging from 95"h x 60"w to 95"h x 72"w) and one standard window (72"h x 24"w).  Basically, every window is facing the street: 2 sliding doors in guest bed, 1 sliding door and 1 window in living rm, 1 sliding door in kitchen, and 1 sliding door in master bd.  Every window is dual pane (minimum city requirement).

I'm planning on "sound proofing" the sliding door in the living room and bedroom first, but need advice on which route to take.  I don't have much sill space so having an interior sound proof window installed may not be a viable option.  Instead I'm thinking about replacing the windows with laminated glass.  I got a quote from soundproofwindows.com for about $1400 per sliding door (including shipping) + $175 installation per door (local referral).  I'm having the installer come out today to examine my place for options, but he's charging $75 "consulting fee".  Think it's worth it?  I haven't received a quote regarding replacement windows yet. 
Does an interior additional sliding door block off much more sound than a good solid replacement window? 

Lastly, do any of you have any experience having the developer help out w/ the soundproofing cost AFTER close or am I just SOL? 
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Help! New Condo owner suffering from traffic noise
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

If you're just trying to mask noise during sleep and the noise isn't bothersome otherwise, try a white-noise machine first.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can return it and then sink some money into new doors and windows.

There's lots of different models, but I have a Marpac Soundscreen and I am quite happy with it.

newowner

Re: Help! New Condo owner suffering from traffic noise
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:28:15 PM »

thanks for the response.  I'll invest in a white-noise machine, but I'll most likely need to soundproof--really loud inside.  Does anyone here have a good experience with doing replacement windows as opposed to interior soundproof windows?