Author Topic: Celing / Roof  (Read 3493 times)

Charles Martyn

Celing / Roof
« on: June 15, 2001, 02:00:22 PM »
I have recently installed Acousticaly glazed windows which are a big improvement over regular double pane but now I notice the noise coming through the celing. I was thinking of adding a layer of drywall up in the attic. I thought I would just sit it over the joists on neoprene pads and caulk it. I also thought that I might sink it down between the rafters sitting in spacers and sealed in place. Is this a good idea? Most of the celing info on this site is related to insulation. I have lots of that that I will have to remove.

Charles Martyn

Re: Celing / Roof
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2001, 08:13:30 PM »
After a more exhaustive read of the site I thought I would post furthur thoughts. The celings in my home are quite large Aprox 700 sq foot for each celing that is directly exposed to the attic. Doing it from the underside would require work to the Kitchen, Bedrooms x 3, Living Room, Dining Room, Bathroom, half a dozen closets etc. etc. This is just too much work and some of the celings are decorative plaster with cornice mouldings.
I thought it would make sence to go up into the attic and add material there. Resiliant channel won't work and the heavy vinyl / sheet lead would be a lot of money.
I thought I could use either drywall or cement board. My solution was to remove all of the insulation. Leave the current vapour barier in place and seal all of the openings around the light fixtures and edges etc. The material is some kind of plaster backing board about 3/8 " thick with a heavy layer of plaster on top about 1/4" thick.
If I am working in the attic it would be impossible to use resilient channel in any meaningfull way and building a celing over the existing celing would add a lot of weight. I thought what might help somewhat would be to fill the rafter cavity with cellulose and leave a 1" airspace. Then glue drywall to the top of the rafters and then add another 14" of blown cellulose. This would at least add some mass between the attic and the inside room.
My other thought was to put in some metal cone spacers or spikes and rest the drywall on those. This would give some decoupling. I would then seal the edges with caulk.
What I want to make sure to avoid is making it worse.

eva putnoky

Re: Celing / Roof
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 08:22:03 PM »
: I have recently installed Acousticaly glazed windows which are a big improvement over regular double pane but now I notice the noise coming through the celing. I was thinking of adding a layer of drywall up in the attic. I thought I would just sit it over the joists on neoprene pads and caulk it. I also thought that I might sink it down between the rafters sitting in spacers and sealed in place. Is this a good idea? Most of the celing info on this site is related to insulation. I have lots of that that I will have to remove.

mogdad2

Re: Celing / Roof in sudan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 08:50:55 AM »
: After a more exhaustive read of the site I thought I would post furthur thoughts. The celings in my home are quite large Aprox 700 sq foot for each celing that is directly exposed to the attic. Doing it from the underside would require work to the Kitchen, Bedrooms x 3, Living Room, Dining Room, Bathroom, half a dozen closets etc. etc. This is just too much work and some of the celings are decorative plaster with cornice mouldings. i'm instel ihop to send me that program biulding in sudan  the type ,method of construction .
thank you

anything