Author Topic: Dog Barking  (Read 2930 times)

Nancy M.

Dog Barking
« on: June 16, 2001, 11:26:27 PM »
I browsed the FAQ's and didn't see
Dog Barking sound proofing. We have dual pain windows and I have developed a hyper sentivity to dog barking - I get almost a panic attack due to the previous neighbors dog barking constantly.  They are gone but the reaction remains.  We live in the high desert and it is very quiet at night.  The dual pain windows help, but don't block sound.  Has anyone had any experinece with this?  
Thank you.

Charles Martyn

Re: Dog Barking
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2001, 07:29:24 PM »
I have bought windows that consist of dual pane glass 1/4" laminated safety glass on the inside and 1/4" glass on the outside. The panes are seperated by a 1" airspace. These block out dogs from about 150 feet away. I would say these windows are about 1/2 - 2/3 as noisy as a regular window. The 'hypersensitivity' you refer to is established by being exposed to almost any kind of noise for too long and then making an attempt to get releif only to find that you can not. I have heard it is related to some kind of post traumatic stress disorder. Personaly, I prefer to think of others as insensitive to it.
I am going to try installing a roll-shade on the outside these are aluminum overlapping slats about 3/8" thick and they stand off the window about 6". They are electricaly operated from the inside and roll up into the soffit area above the window. This is expensive though I would estimate a 4' X 5' laminated glass window with 1" airspace and the roll shade would be close to 3,000.00 US installed.
Alternatively there is the Window Plug on this site which looks like crap but at least you won't be up at 2:00 am pulling your hair out.

: I browsed the FAQ's and didn't see
: Dog Barking sound proofing. We have dual pain windows and I have developed a hyper sentivity to dog barking - I get almost a panic attack due to the previous neighbors dog barking constantly.  They are gone but the reaction remains.  We live in the high desert and it is very quiet at night.  The dual pain windows help, but don't block sound.  Has anyone had any experinece with this?  
: Thank you.

anything