Author Topic: Highway news  (Read 4388 times)

Mark O'Toole

Highway news
« on: June 19, 2001, 07:10:39 PM »
Similar to a previous question, I live a couple of houses in from a highway and have tremendous outdoor noise.  The house is well-insulated and quiet.  The backyard is the problem.  We have a lot of foligae and a fence is impractical due to the length of the run of fence we would need.  Are there maximum outdoor noise levels that would force city or state action?  Would insulating panels on on the highway help.  The road is about 100 yards beyond my yard and about 50 yards lower elevation than my yard.

Charles M

Re: Highway news
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2001, 02:19:14 PM »
If they can set up an airport in peoples back yards I doubt the state would take actioover your highway issue.
Good Luck. I have the same sort of problem where the street my home faces is a quiet tree lined afair and three streets away is a busy road. Sometimes the 'Roar' can make your head pound. Couple that with constant buzz of regional jets, Firetrucks heading to false alams in highrises constantly, and you have "Life in the big city."
It is a shame. Some people have success with running water ie a fountain. A waterfall or whater wheel can add a nice effect to the back yard.
Trees and shrubs do almost nothing. A Wall would have to be at least 8 ft high and be made of cement. I have a six foot wood fence that does nothing.
: Similar to a previous question, I live a couple of houses in from a highway and have tremendous outdoor noise.  The house is well-insulated and quiet.  The backyard is the problem.  We have a lot of foligae and a fence is impractical due to the length of the run of fence we would need.  Are there maximum outdoor noise levels that would force city or state action?  Would insulating panels on on the highway help.  The road is about 100 yards beyond my yard and about 50 yards lower elevation than my yard.

bjnash

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 12:29:54 AM »
: If they can set up an airport in peoples back yards I doubt the state would take actioover your highway issue.
: Good Luck. I have the same sort of problem where the street my home faces is a quiet tree lined afair and three streets away is a busy road. Sometimes the 'Roar' can make your head pound. Couple that with constant buzz of regional jets, Firetrucks heading to false alams in highrises constantly, and you have "Life in the big city."
: It is a shame. Some people have success with running water ie a fountain. A waterfall or whater wheel can add a nice effect to the back yard.
: Trees and shrubs do almost nothing. A Wall would have to be at least 8 ft high and be made of cement. I have a six foot wood fence that does nothing.
: : Similar to a previous question, I live a couple of houses in from a highway and have tremendous outdoor noise.  The house is well-insulated and quiet.  The backyard is the problem.  We have a lot of foligae and a fence is impractical due to the length of the run of fence we would need.  Are there maximum outdoor noise levels that would force city or state action?  Would insulating panels on on the highway help.  The road is about 100 yards beyond my yard and about 50 yards lower elevation than my yard.
Sounds like candidates for our noise cancelling headsets or "Active Noise Cancellation' electronics!  Would you think there would be a market for a backyard installation to allow using your backyard for parties, etc and put the noise afar with a created "Quiet Zone"?  Let me know what you think!
BJ

Chuck Butler

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2001, 04:13:44 PM »
: If they can set up an airport in peoples back yards I doubt the state would take actioover your highway issue.
: Good Luck. I have the same sort of problem where the street my home faces is a quiet tree lined afair and three streets away is a busy road. Sometimes the 'Roar' can make your head pound. Couple that with constant buzz of regional jets, Firetrucks heading to false alams in highrises constantly, and you have "Life in the big city."
: It is a shame. Some people have success with running water ie a fountain. A waterfall or whater wheel can add a nice effect to the back yard.
: Trees and shrubs do almost nothing. A Wall would have to be at least 8 ft high and be made of cement. I have a six foot wood fence that does nothing.
: : Similar to a previous question, I live a couple of houses in from a highway and have tremendous outdoor noise.  The house is well-insulated and quiet.  The backyard is the problem.  We have a lot of foligae and a fence is impractical due to the length of the run of fence we would need.  Are there maximum outdoor noise levels that would force city or state action?  Would insulating panels on on the highway help.  The road is about 100 yards beyond my yard and about 50 yards lower elevation than my yard.
Shaped deflection type sculptures can be used to quiet the area you live in , but location, location, location is the big question.

Nestor Z

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2001, 02:22:25 PM »
: : If they can set up an airport in peoples back yards I doubt the state would take actioover your highway issue.
: : Good Luck. I have the same sort of problem where the street my home faces is a quiet tree lined afair and three streets away is a busy road. Sometimes the 'Roar' can make your head pound. Couple that with constant buzz of regional jets, Firetrucks heading to false alams in highrises constantly, and you have "Life in the big city."
: : It is a shame. Some people have success with running water ie a fountain. A waterfall or whater wheel can add a nice effect to the back yard.
: : Trees and shrubs do almost nothing. A Wall would have to be at least 8 ft high and be made of cement. I have a six foot wood fence that does nothing.
: : : Similar to a previous question, I live a couple of houses in from a highway and have tremendous outdoor noise.  The house is well-insulated and quiet.  The backyard is the problem.  We have a lot of foligae and a fence is impractical due to the length of the run of fence we would need.  Are there maximum outdoor noise levels that would force city or state action?  Would insulating panels on on the highway help.  The road is about 100 yards beyond my yard and about 50 yards lower elevation than my yard.
: Sounds like candidates for our noise cancelling headsets or "Active Noise Cancellation' electronics!  Would you think there would be a market for a backyard installation to allow using your backyard for parties, etc and put the noise afar with a created "Quiet Zone"?  Let me know what you think!

Absolutely!  If someone could figure out how to create a "quite zone" in an outdoor setting using Active Noise Cancellation, it would be a fantastic thing...

anything