Author Topic: Silencing the Cat's Meow  (Read 2913 times)

brian

Silencing the Cat's Meow
« on: June 25, 2001, 01:21:22 AM »
Summary: need solution for blocking cat's meow at night in a tiny apartment.
My girlfriend and I are about to move into a tiny apartment in NY with our cat, who meows every morning starting around 5:30. The only thing between him and us will be a flimsy set of french doors, with a 1 inch gap between the bottom of the doors and the floor. Above the doors is a 4' x 2' open panel which we're hoping to install glass in.
We're looking to put a sound barrier of some kind away from the outside of the door, across the room. We're going to have to rig something that can be manipulated pretty easily (for trips to the bathroom at night--the bathroom is on the other side of the barrier) and that looks semi-attractive (or that would allow us to roll it up to the wall when it's not in use, or take it down entirely and store it.) So we're looking for a pretty thin/lightweight solution that, of course, is strong enough to stop Mr. meow.
Any help would be appreciated--and may just save my relationship with my light-sleeper girlfriend.
thanks!

bjnash

Re: Silencing the Cat's Meow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 03:47:43 PM »
: Summary: need solution for blocking cat's meow at night in a tiny apartment.
: My girlfriend and I are about to move into a tiny apartment in NY with our cat, who meows every morning starting around 5:30. The only thing between him and us will be a flimsy set of french doors, with a 1 inch gap between the bottom of the doors and the floor. Above the doors is a 4' x 2' open panel which we're hoping to install glass in.
: We're looking to put a sound barrier of some kind away from the outside of the door, across the room. We're going to have to rig something that can be manipulated pretty easily (for trips to the bathroom at night--the bathroom is on the other side of the barrier) and that looks semi-attractive (or that would allow us to roll it up to the wall when it's not in use, or take it down entirely and store it.) So we're looking for a pretty thin/lightweight solution that, of course, is strong enough to stop Mr. meow.
: Any help would be appreciated--and may just save my relationship with my light-sleeper girlfriend.
: thanks!
The best solution would be a heavy acoustical curtain accross the doorway.  This drape could be easily negociated or drawn back when needed.