Author Topic: new room planning  (Read 3488 times)

Loft liver

new room planning
« on: June 30, 2001, 11:06:06 PM »
I'm building a room within an open living loft that I would like to be sound protected from the stereo, tv and footsteps in the rest of the loft, as well as kept private with sounds from that room staying within (including loud conversation, laughter and music).
The loft is very live as it's lightly furnished, has no rugs or carpets, brick walls on two ends and several concrete columns.  
The new room will have street facing windows, which I don't plan to try to improve, so there will be masking noise.  I also plan to carpet the room.
It will be 18 x 13 with 10'6" ceilings and I can't afford to up the construction costs with 12.45+ per foot sound deadening materials.  
The question is if I build staggered walls with 2x4 wood stud, soundboard and 5/8 sheetrock and caulk anal retentively, how successful at noise blocking do you think this combo would be?  How much more effective would it be if I added 3" mineral fiber blankets?  How much more if I added res. channel?  
Would two layers of sheetrock be more effective than one layer each sheetrock and soundboard?
Also, how do you get soundboard to support 5/8 rock????  
I already have soundboard on the entire ceiling and it can barely keep it's own weight from tearing around a screw ...
Thanks!

bjnash

Re: new room planning
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2001, 10:37:19 PM »
: I'm building a room within an open living loft that I would like to be sound protected from the stereo, tv and footsteps in the rest of the loft, as well as kept private with sounds from that room staying within (including loud conversation, laughter and music).
: The loft is very live as it's lightly furnished, has no rugs or carpets, brick walls on two ends and several concrete columns.  
: The new room will have street facing windows, which I don't plan to try to improve, so there will be masking noise.  I also plan to carpet the room.
: It will be 18 x 13 with 10'6" ceilings and I can't afford to up the construction costs with 12.45+ per foot sound deadening materials.  
This is the cost per running foot, not square foot...
: The question is if I build staggered walls with 2x4 wood stud, soundboard and 5/8 sheetrock and caulk anal retentively, how successful at noise blocking do you think this combo would be?  
Good.  You should also think of making your walls staggered, as in a maze.  
How much more effective would it be if I added 3" mineral fiber blankets?  How much more if I added res. channel?  
Rock wool?  Check with the manufacturor.   RC channel? about 20 STC points.  
: Would two layers of sheetrock be more effective than one layer each sheetrock and soundboard?
NO, less effective
: Also, how do you get soundboard to support 5/8 rock????  
: I already have soundboard on the entire ceiling and it can barely keep it's own weight from tearing around a screw ...
The soundboard should be covered on the outside with sheetrock  and just use more screws.
: Thanks!
You may want to consider using our new "Isolation Clips"  a replacement for resilient channel.  Watch for more info soon!  

Loft liver

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 07:20:32 PM »
: : The question is if I build staggered walls with 2x4 wood stud, soundboard and 5/8 sheetrock and caulk anal retentively, how successful at noise blocking do you think this combo would be?  
: Good.  You should also think of making your walls staggered, as in a maze.  
Can you clarify?  (I meant staggered as in a double stud wall, the studs staggered side to side either on a wider than normal plate.  I haven't committed to this as the common plate seems like a large weakness that just a little more wood would cure by building separate walls, I don't understand the maze comparison.)  
: How much more effective would it be if I added 3" mineral fiber blankets?  How much more if I added res. channel?  
: Rock wool?  Check with the manufacturor.   RC channel? about 20 STC points.  
Do you mean the RC channel itself adds 20 STC points? Or the proposed combo with the RC channel would add 20 points?
: : Would two layers of sheetrock be more effective than one layer each sheetrock and soundboard?
: NO, less effective
Thanks
: : Also, how do you get soundboard to support 5/8 rock????  
: : I already have soundboard on the entire ceiling and it can barely keep it's own weight from tearing around a screw ...
: The soundboard should be covered on the outside with sheetrock  and just use more screws.
: : Thanks!
: You may want to consider using our new "Isolation Clips"  a replacement for resilient channel.  Watch for more info soon!  

How soon is soon???  I was hoping to start this week!!

Loft liver

new room materials cost
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 07:43:57 PM »
: : It will be 18 x 13 with 10'6" ceilings and I can't afford to up the construction costs with 12.45+ per foot sound deadening materials.  
: This is the cost per running foot, not square foot...
Right, I understood that. By my estimation that comes to approx. $1000 (the rolls are 54" and I'd need (8) 126" lengths), which is more than all the other materials combined.

bjnash

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2001, 04:32:51 PM »

: : : The question is if I build staggered walls with 2x4 wood stud, soundboard and 5/8 sheetrock and caulk anal retentively, how successful at noise blocking do you think this combo would be?  
: : Good.  You should also think of making your walls staggered, as in a maze.  
: Can you clarify?  (I meant staggered as in a double stud wall, the studs staggered side to side either on a wider than normal plate.  I haven't committed to this as the common plate seems like a large weakness that just a little more wood would cure by building separate walls, I don't understand the maze comparison.)  
Staggared studs works well because it is a little easier to seal off the enclosed area with caulk.  The maze is just to make two wide, separate walls with a passageway between them.
: : How much more effective would it be if I added 3" mineral fiber blankets?  How much more if I added res. channel?  
: : Rock wool?  Check with the manufacturor.   RC channel? about 20 STC points.  
: Do you mean the RC channel itself adds 20 STC points? Or the proposed combo with the RC channel would add 20 points?
The cobination
: : : Would two layers of sheetrock be more effective than one layer each sheetrock and soundboard?
: : NO, less effective
: Thanks
: : : Also, how do you get soundboard to support 5/8 rock????  
: : : I already have soundboard on the entire ceiling and it can barely keep it's own weight from tearing around a screw ...
: : The soundboard should be covered on the outside with sheetrock  and just use more screws.
: : : Thanks!
: : You may want to consider using our new "Isolation Clips"  a replacement for resilient channel.  Watch for more info soon!  
:
: How soon is soon???  I was hoping to start this week!!

bjnash

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2001, 03:24:21 AM »

: : : : The question is if I build staggered walls with 2x4 wood stud, soundboard and 5/8 sheetrock and caulk anal retentively, how successful at noise blocking do you think this combo would be?  
: : : Good.  You should also think of making your walls staggered, as in a maze.  
: : Can you clarify?  (I meant staggered as in a double stud wall, the studs staggered side to side either on a wider than normal plate.  I haven't committed to this as the common plate seems like a large weakness that just a little more wood would cure by building separate walls, I don't understand the maze comparison.)  
: Staggared studs works well because it is a little easier to seal off the enclosed area with caulk.  The maze is just to make two wide, separate walls with a passageway between them.
: : : How much more effective would it be if I added 3" mineral fiber blankets?  How much more if I added res. channel?  
: : : Rock wool?  Check with the manufacturor.   RC channel? about 20 STC points.  
: : Do you mean the RC channel itself adds 20 STC points? Or the proposed combo with the RC channel would add 20 points?
: The cobination
: : : : Would two layers of sheetrock be more effective than one layer each sheetrock and soundboard?
: : : NO, less effective
: : Thanks
: : : : Also, how do you get soundboard to support 5/8 rock????  
: : : : I already have soundboard on the entire ceiling and it can barely keep it's own weight from tearing around a screw ...
: : : The soundboard should be covered on the outside with sheetrock  and just use more screws.
: : : : Thanks!
: : : You may want to consider using our new "Isolation Clips"  a replacement for resilient channel.  Watch for more info soon!  
: :
: : How soon is soon???  I was hoping to start this week!!
We are the distributor for these now and see the website for more details

greg janala

help me
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 08:30:34 AM »
heres my problem: The cost of soundproofing a room, C, depends on the frequency of the sound. One dealer quated Mrs. Arlen a price, in dollar,of C = 450 sin [( f / 20,000) 90]degree per room. The Arlen house has the same number of rooms as the largest typical American house. How much will it cost the Arlens to soundproof all the rooms?