Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: 10.38mm Laminate for Traffic Noise Reduction  (Read 2300 times)

uptightkid

10.38mm Laminate for Traffic Noise Reduction
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

Our weatherboard house is approx 600m from a main road, we are noticing a low rumble type sound at night and in the mornings.

Thanks to this website I am making practical and cheap improvements (rugs, door insulation) but I think the windows are the main entry point for the sound.

My research tells me that I need a 10.38mm laminate glass to be insatalled with a 100mm gap between the 10.38 and the orginal window. I had a carpenter visit and he says that our double hung windows do not have enough space to accomodate the 100mm gap.

This leaves me the only option of a Magnetite type solution. Can the Magnetite solution of secondary glazing give me the 10.38mm and the 100mm gap?

Finally, my research so far tells me that everything else being equal the windows are the first place to start for sound reduction.
However with an uninsulated weatherboard house is this still true? I'd hate to fork our 3-4k for a window solution to then learn that the majority of the sound is still unblocked becuase it is comeing through the walls.