Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Ordered 7 soundproof windows for the bedrooms in my house  (Read 7465 times)

Chris J

Ordered 7 soundproof windows for the bedrooms in my house
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »

Our 1908 Spanish Colonial in MA is ajacent to a road that gets heavy traffic for much of the day. It's a totally residential area but suprisingly the city lets a high volume of commuters and commercial trucks use the road as a short cut to some larger highways. The cost was high to say the lease but we needed openable windows and  laminated glass so we ordered the www.soundproofwindow.com product. Just got notification of shipment so I'll post results in a week or so after installation.

Chris

just2jackie

Re: Ordered 7 soundproof windows for the bedrooms in my house
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »

I wanna to know. Please keep updating. thanks.
Are you going to install the windows by yourself?

Chris J

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »

Istalled and working quite well! Greatly reduced the traffic noise.....I hesitate to throw out a number but I can say that they made our home right on  a busy road sound like it's 3 or 4 houses away. You can still faintly hear the traffic but it sounds far away. In fact the electrical hum of a light in the bedroom overpowers the remaining noise of which the wall seems to be the source of. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this site but I'm a satisfied customer. I should say that we opted for the surface mount to gain air space. We ended up with 5-7 inches of space between windows.

Chris

von

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

I just had windows from the same company installed. I had 11 windows put in and unfortunately I am not happy at all. I notice maybe a 10% difference.  basically I feel like I wasted a lot of money and was scammed.

uptightkid

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if there was some consistency in the reviews for certain solutions?

To the unhappy customer, perhaps the source of the noise was not the windows in the first place.

sfgirl94

Soundproofwindows and Milgard Quiet Line - PART 1
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »

My family has a rental in SF that sits above 280 in Bernal Heigts and you can definitely hear the freeway noise.  I don't hear it as much as some people since I grew up in the house.  But it was a problem for rental value.  So I decided to look into soundproofing and since I was told the windows are the weekest point I decided to first look into replacing the windows.  I had Soundproofwindows come out for an estimate about($6500) for 10 windows - various sizes.  I liked the concept of what they are able to do but I did not really care for the visual look.  Let me explain - the house is a 110 year classic Victorian and the window in window look just did nothting for the details of the house.  Out of the 10 windows I was looking to soundproof 5 were 30 yr old aluminum and 5 were newer dual pane vinyl.  Soundproofwindows wanted to install their soundproof window over the 5 aluminum but I wanted to replace those windows altogether.  To me it did not make sense to keep the old leaky windows but I also did not want to pay for 5 new dual pane vinly windows and pay additionally to install another 5 soundproof window over them.  After doing some research I discoverd Milgard Quiet Line, wasn't sure how they worked but decided to talk to them and did a little more research.  After a few months of research and going back and forth, I decided to go with Milgard Quiet Line - cost for 5 windows almost $5000 (incl tax).  PART 2 coming