Author Topic: Condo sound problems  (Read 4059 times)

Michael Marks

Condo sound problems
« on: July 07, 2001, 10:05:02 PM »
I'm disappointed by the noise insulation in my condo. My neighbors have complained of loud noises, caused by groups of people laughing/talking. Ideal goal would be to have no music, but talk & laugh without worrying about noise. Here is the description of my condo, how good is this? I may need to build a "false wall", any recommendations?

Condo blurb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The demising walls are drywall with metal studs, three inch bat insulation, and a metal clip separating the drywall from one side of the stud to prevent sound and vibration transmission. This is a condominium standard and should provide excellent sound insulation.

bjnash

Re: Condo sound problems
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 02:07:05 AM »
: I'm disappointed by the noise insulation in my condo. My neighbors have complained of loud noises, caused by groups of people laughing/talking. Ideal goal would be to have no music, but talk & laugh without worrying about noise. Here is the description of my condo, how good is this? I may need to build a "false wall", any recommendations?
:
: Condo blurb
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: The demising walls are drywall with metal studs, three inch bat insulation, and a metal clip separating the drywall from one side of the stud to prevent sound and vibration transmission. This is a condominium standard and should provide excellent sound insulation.
This "Standard" would have an STC of about 20: "converstaion is easily heard".  You would need about an STC 60-80: "loud shouting is not heard".  To get to that see the URL below.

Michael Marks

Re: Condo sound problems
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2001, 01:49:26 AM »
My condo is very small, 710 square feet, so space is valuable. I'm wondering if there is an moderatly inexpensive, "easy" solution that would provide some benefit. If I covered the walls with two layers of the sound proofing mat, and just painted over the mat, would that provide some benefit. Or do I really need a dead space and additional drywall to provide any benefit. Thank you.

anything