Author Topic: Resiliant channels  (Read 2544 times)

monika_vaskova

Resiliant channels
« on: July 09, 2001, 12:41:31 AM »
I am putting up a new ceiling under an existing plaster ceiling.  I am attaching studs perpendicular to the joists.
I would like to know whether the resiliant channels should be placed perpendicular to the new studs (parrallel to the esixsting joists) or perpendicular to the joists( along the new studs)?
What is the maximum spacing allowable for the resiliant channels? Can I use 32" spacing?
Should the channels be 1/4" from all the walls?

bjnash

Re: Resiliant channels
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 02:02:59 AM »

: I am putting up a new ceiling under an existing plaster ceiling.  I am attaching studs perpendicular to the joists.
: I would like to know whether the resiliant channels should be placed perpendicular to the new studs (parrallel to the esixsting joists) or perpendicular to the joists( along the new studs)?
Yes
: What is the maximum spacing allowable for the resiliant channels? Can I use 32" spacing?
No, it depends on the weight of the ceiling you are hanging on them. If there is "soundboard" or "Homasote" and massloaded vinyl covered with 5/8" firecode sheetrock, they would have to be as close as 14"-16" centers.

: Should the channels be 1/4" from all the walls?
Yes, as well as the ceiling panels themselves.  There is a new rubber hanger just on the market that gives much better performance than resilient channel.  A picture of it is at the link below and a short description is on our What's New page.  We  will be stocking them soon.