Author Topic: Are wood framed windows a mistake?  (Read 2695 times)

Bev

Are wood framed windows a mistake?
« on: July 10, 2001, 10:52:55 PM »
Your info page says that wood is not an effective barrier against sound, but a salesman at a Pella window store said that wood framed windows are better at sound prevention than aluminum or vinyl framed. Was I wrong in purchasing wood framed windows instead of vinly as your article suggests? The wood framed windows are very expensive and I don't want to make a mistake in buying the wrong windows for sound reduction for my newly remodeled rooms. Could you comment on which commercially available windows are the best for noise reduction? Covering the windows with a plug is not an option as these windows are needed for egress per city codes. Thanks!

Charles Martyn

Re: Are wood framed windows a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2001, 10:16:53 PM »
Ahem... Well, If you look at any real soundproof window it has a special alluminum frame. However, out of the regular residential windows the wood ones perform the best. That said the weakest link in the chain is the glass. Pella does not offer any noise reduction glazings but Loewen does.
The lack of interest by these huge, suposedly premium window mfgs like Pella, Marvin, Anderson etc amazes me. The problem seems to be that in order to produce a huge improvement in noise reduction from standard (double glazed 1/8" glass) STC-34 in a 7/8" frame you need to go to at least 3/8" Laminated 1 1/8" air space and 1/4" glass in a 1 3/4" frame for STC-44. The best residential window offering is STC-40 while this is an improvement it is not significant enough that the general public could appreciate it. I have the Lowen STC-40 windows on the back of my house and when my neighbour is mowing his backyard I actualy hear it coming in the front window!. However, I can still hear low frequency traffic sounds and Airplanes etc.
Good luck with your windows!

: Your info page says that wood is not an effective barrier against sound, but a salesman at a Pella window store said that wood framed windows are better at sound prevention than aluminum or vinyl framed. Was I wrong in purchasing wood framed windows instead of vinly as your article suggests? The wood framed windows are very expensive and I don't want to make a mistake in buying the wrong windows for sound reduction for my newly remodeled rooms. Could you comment on which commercially available windows are the best for noise reduction? Covering the windows with a plug is not an option as these windows are needed for egress per city codes. Thanks!

anything