Author Topic: Soundproofing an apartment building  (Read 2755 times)

Steve Potash

Soundproofing an apartment building
« on: July 27, 2001, 04:01:30 AM »
I own a 3 story apartment building that's approximately 6 years old and is rented to students.  When it was built, the carpets were glued directly to the subfloor and there is no insulation in the ceilings between the floors.  You can hear people talking between the floors and the large booming of their stereos can be heard perfectly in the upstairs/downstairs apartments.  Since the carpets are glued, I can only soundproof the ceilings.  Some people have told me that I should first pull down the existing drywall from the ceiling and then insulate between the floors rafter before applying any soundproofing technique. Since this is labor intensive, I was trying to find out how much more sound reduction I would gain by first doing these steps instead of applying a soundproofing technique directly to the existing ceiling.  Also, what would be the best soundproofing method based on my constraints and what sounds (or sound level) would still be heard between apartments.  Since I have several apartments that need soundproofing help, I wanted to make sure that I'm maximizing the sound reduction and doing it properly. Thank you very much for your advice.  

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing an apartment building
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 03:47:24 AM »
: I own a 3 story apartment building that's approximately 6 years old and is rented to students.  When it was built, the carpets were glued directly to the subfloor and there is no insulation in the ceilings between the floors.  You can hear people talking between the floors and the large booming of their stereos can be heard perfectly in the upstairs/downstairs apartments.  Since the carpets are glued, I can only soundproof the ceilings.  Some people have told me that I should first pull down the existing drywall from the ceiling and then insulate between the floors rafter before applying any soundproofing technique. Since this is labor intensive, I was trying to find out how much more sound reduction I would gain by first doing these steps instead of applying a soundproofing technique directly to the existing ceiling.  Also, what would be the best soundproofing method based on my constraints and what sounds (or sound level) would still be heard between apartments.  Since I have several apartments that need soundproofing help, I wanted to make sure that I'm maximizing the sound reduction and doing it properly. Thank you very much for your advice.  
Been done before: simply put "mass Loaded Vinyl" over your carpet: (1/8" thick) another layer of carpet padding and then new carpet.  Much cheaper than going into the ceilings!  More soundproofing?  Use 2-3 layers of it.  See the link below.

anything