Author Topic: reducing noise from upstairs neighbor in apartment building  (Read 6184 times)

hugo

reducing noise from upstairs neighbor in apartment building
« on: August 02, 2001, 09:26:48 PM »
I own a co-op unit in an apartment building with hardwood floors in all the apartments.  There is a lot of noise transfer from the upstairs neighbors, particularly impact noise from footsteps and moving furniture, etc.  Often it's possible to hear the television as well.  I believe the ceiling is plaster, as opposed to wallboard, though I'm not sure.  Would it be feasable to cut back on the sound by pulling down the ceiling, installing soundproofing material and putting up a new ceiling?  If so, what material would work best?  In, say a 500 square foot apartment, what would be the cost of doing this kind of work?  Thanks.

bjnash

Re: reducing noise from upstairs neighbor in apartment building
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 04:18:14 AM »
: I own a co-op unit in an apartment building with hardwood floors in all the apartments.  There is a lot of noise transfer from the upstairs neighbors, particularly impact noise from footsteps and moving furniture, etc.  Often it's possible to hear the television as well.  I believe the ceiling is plaster, as opposed to wallboard, though I'm not sure.  Would it be feasable to cut back on the sound by pulling down the ceiling, installing soundproofing material and putting up a new ceiling?  If so, what material would work best?  In, say a 500 square foot apartment, what would be the cost of doing this kind of work?  Thanks.
This is not only feasible, but probably the only way.  Anyway, an additional better way would be to install a false ceiling after you've removed the eisting one.  The reason is to increase the airspace between the old ceiling and the new.  the method described below should also be followed:  See the link below.

In-Won Lee

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2001, 02:21:39 AM »
: I own a co-op unit in an apartment building with hardwood floors in all the apartments.  There is a lot of noise transfer from the upstairs neighbors, particularly impact noise from footsteps and moving furniture, etc.  Often it's possible to hear the television as well.  I believe the ceiling is plaster, as opposed to wallboard, though I'm not sure.  Would it be feasable to cut back on the sound by pulling down the ceiling, installing soundproofing material and putting up a new ceiling?  If so, what material would work best?  In, say a 1800 square foot apartment, what would be the cost of doing this kind of work?  Thanks.

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2001, 11:08:43 PM »
: : I own a co-op unit in an apartment building with hardwood floors in all the apartments.  There is a lot of noise transfer from the upstairs neighbors, particularly impact noise from footsteps and moving furniture, etc.  Often it's possible to hear the television as well.  I believe the ceiling is plaster, as opposed to wallboard, though I'm not sure.  Would it be feasable to cut back on the sound by pulling down the ceiling, installing soundproofing material and putting up a new ceiling?  If so, what material would work best?  In, say a 1800 square foot apartment, what would be the cost of doing this kind of work?  Thanks.
You have the right idea- that is what would have to be done.  

Edwin Rios

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2001, 01:40:46 AM »
: : I own a co-op unit in an apartment building with hardwood floors in all the apartments.  There is a lot of noise transfer from the upstairs neighbors, particularly impact noise from footsteps and moving furniture, etc.  Often it's possible to hear the television as well.  I believe the ceiling is plaster, as opposed to wallboard, though I'm not sure.  Would it be feasable to cut back on the sound by pulling down the ceiling, installing soundproofing material and putting up a new ceiling?  If so, what material would work best?  In, say a 1800 square foot apartment, what would be the cost of doing this kind of work?  Thanks.

anything