Author Topic: Insulation for RV-8 aircraft  (Read 2148 times)

Jim Parker

Insulation for RV-8 aircraft
« on: August 11, 2001, 05:07:00 AM »
I read you suggestions on insulating an aircraft.  I purchased your vinyl/nitrile insulating material (1/8").  I thought about applying your mat to the aircraft skin and not cover it.  However, I conducted a quick abrasion test and found the mat less tough than I desire.  I like your panel idea.  However, I'd like to create panels of .032" perforated aluminum with your mat attached to the back side.  Then I'll secure these panels with contact cement.  I plan to paint the aluminum to match the rest of the interior with your material showing through the perforations in the aluminum sheet panels. I can get the sheet with holes varying in diameter from .0625" up to .25".  I think the tiny holes will look best, but wonder if it makes any difference in performance.  Keep in mind, I'm only adding the perforated aluminum to protect your mat from wear and tear. Will this arrangement work?  Will I seriously degrade the performance of your mat?  Any suggestions?  

bjnash

Re: Insulation for RV-8 aircraft
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2001, 01:10:55 AM »
: I read you suggestions on insulating an aircraft.  I purchased your vinyl/nitrile insulating material (1/8").  I thought about applying your mat to the aircraft skin and not cover it.  However, I conducted a quick abrasion test and found the mat less tough than I desire.  I like your panel idea.  However, I'd like to create panels of .032" perforated aluminum with your mat attached to the back side.  Then I'll secure these panels with contact cement.  I plan to paint the aluminum to match the rest of the interior with your material showing through the perforations in the aluminum sheet panels. I can get the sheet with holes varying in diameter from .0625" up to .25".  I think the tiny holes will look best, but wonder if it makes any difference in performance.  Keep in mind, I'm only adding the perforated aluminum to protect your mat from wear and tear. Will this arrangement work?  Will I seriously degrade the performance of your mat?  Any suggestions?  
Actually, they will greatly improve the performance of the mat.  You've struck on something we've known for some time, but the explanation of why is too complex for here! Generally the holes are not critical, but bigger ones may be better in an aircraft with lots of low frequency noise.