Author Topic: Noisy garden co-op  (Read 3181 times)

Gary

Noisy garden co-op
« on: December 23, 2000, 04:43:58 AM »
I bought this cute Junior 2 apartment two years ago and have had noise problems since the very first day. I can clearly hear the conversation from the apartments on both sides of me and below me, as well as tv and stereo noise. Whenever my neighbors turn on a faucet or take a shower or use the bathroom, I can hear it. In addition, I play piano.
I've spent the past two years researching prewar buildings in hopes that they would be the answer to my need for quiet dwellings, but I've found them to be little better. I figure any apartment I purchase will have sound problems, and the one I currently own (actually I only own shares and I need board approval to open the walls, I would imagine) is conveniently located to both my job and NYC in a nice setting, is small, cozy and the maintenance is absurdly affordable. In short I am willing to go to great lengths and spare no cost in soundproofing the place. Will resilient channeling along with mats and barriers really help? Also, do I need access to the downstairs apartment in order to stop noise transmission through the floor (that's the main problem--I can hear my neighbor using her bathroom as I type this; when she starts getting loud on her phone it drives me crazy) or can I just open up my floor? My father is more than capable of doing all or most of the work and I have an honest associate at my place of business who is a lisenced carpenter (in fact he was the first to tell me of resilient channeling when I began looking for soundproofing solutions nearly two years ago).  Should I bother?
Thanks.

bjnash

Re: Noisy garden co-op
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2000, 07:22:25 PM »
: I bought this cute Junior 2 apartment two years ago and have had noise problems since the very first day. I can clearly hear the conversation from the apartments on both sides of me and below me, as well as tv and stereo noise. Whenever my neighbors turn on a faucet or take a shower or use the bathroom, I can hear it. In addition, I play piano.
: I've spent the past two years researching prewar buildings in hopes that they would be the answer to my need for quiet dwellings, but I've found them to be little better. I figure any apartment I purchase will have sound problems, and the one I currently own (actually I only own shares and I need board approval to open the walls, I would imagine) is conveniently located to both my job and NYC in a nice setting, is small, cozy and the maintenance is absurdly affordable. In short I am willing to go to great lengths and spare no cost in soundproofing the place. Will resilient channeling along with mats and barriers really help? Also, do I need access to the downstairs apartment in order to stop noise transmission through the floor (that's the main problem--I can hear my neighbor using her bathroom as I type this; when she starts getting loud on her phone it drives me crazy) or can I just open up my floor? My father is more than capable of doing all or most of the work and I have an honest associate at my place of business who is a lisenced carpenter (in fact he was the first to tell me of resilient channeling when I began looking for soundproofing solutions nearly two years ago).  Should I bother?
: Thanks.
You've discovered what a lot of people have found: It's cheaper to soundproof than to move. (Possibly to a place that's worse!).
What you need to do is quite do-able.  You need the knowledge and a plan.  Best to get the book listed on the webpage below - that's the starting place.

Gary

Re: Noisy garden co-op
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2000, 10:42:35 PM »
: You've discovered what a lot of people have found: It's cheaper to soundproof than to move. (Possibly to a place that's worse!).
: What you need to do is quite do-able.  You need the knowledge and a plan.  Best to get the book listed on the webpage below - that's the starting place.
Thanks for the response and I've already ordered the book. I'll be following up in a few months to inform everyone at this forum of the results.

anything