Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: window plug basement - advice needed please  (Read 3338 times)

benw

window plug basement - advice needed please
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »

Hi,

We recently purchased an old home that has been renovated. The basement is finished and has a 12" thick basement wall (concrete block) finished with 5/8" drywall. The windows are two dual pane vinyl windows (STC 28) and one glass block window (w/ vent) (unknown STC).

The problem is loud barking dogs during the day that are approx. 100ft away. I can hear sound coming from windows so I guess I will start there first since the walls are likely not the weak point.

If I make a window plug with 2" closed cell foam backed with MDF, can I reasonably expect STC 40+?  The window sills will allow for a 6" airspace between the window and plug. If not, how can I achieve this? I'm trying to stay as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks.

Randy S

Re: window plug basement - advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »

existing 28 STC windows/ 6" dead air space /2" ssp foam mat 25 STC.....Yes I would say you can get 40+ STC out of that system easily. Very nice.
Just make sure the windows are sealed air tight! and the plug is air tight as well.