Author Topic: Carpet installation - and thanks  (Read 2793 times)

Lou Kingman

Carpet installation - and thanks
« on: December 23, 2000, 03:22:44 PM »
To: BJ Nash ...
1. Thanks for replying so promptly to my questions regarding ceiling channel installation (I trust 16" center is adequate to hang Homosote and drywall together - seems way to heavy but I'll go with it).
2. I've used 5/8 closed cell foam before, cut into strips to line floor joists, to float a plywood floor. It was very effective. Is your sound mat this sort of material?
3. Would it be appropriate to substitute your 1/4" or thicker mat for a regular carpet mat? Or should the two be used together? What would it feel like to walk on? I don't want it to feel like a trampoline to walk across the living room!
Thanks, and best wishes for the holidays!
LK

bjnash

Re: Carpet installation - and thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2000, 07:27:37 PM »
: To: BJ Nash ...
: 1. Thanks for replying so promptly to my questions regarding ceiling channel installation (I trust 16" center is adequate to hang Homosote and drywall together - seems way too heavy but I'll go with it).
You may want some support across the span of the joists...
: 2. I've used 5/8 closed cell foam before, cut into strips to line floor joists, to float a plywood floor. It was very effective. Is your sound mat this sort of material?
Possibly, but ours has only been on the market a few years.
: 3. Would it be appropriate to substitute your 1/4" or thicker mat for a regular carpet mat? Or should the two be used together? What would it feel like to walk on? I don't want it to feel like a trampoline to walk across the living room!

No, our mat will "take a set" over time and compress.  Use the recycled carpet padding or a wood floor underlayment like "WhisperWalk" or "SilentStep". for this. See the link below for more info.

:  Thanks, and best wishes for the holidays!
:  LK