Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: double glazed + single ??  (Read 5411 times)

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

double glazed + single ??
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »

ok.. first. thank you for reading and those responding.

I live in an apartment. I already got the OK from the building owner to do this.. but, my window faces 2 homes, and the gardeners come @ 7 am sharp. Mondays.Tuesdays. FML.. those leaf blowers wake me up. I work late shifts so 7 am is like waking up at 4 am for the rest of the population.

Single pane window.. its about 70 inches from side to side.. each window is 3 feet x 3 feet. ~  I called my local window guy and he advised I should keep my single pane and add a double glazed slider behind it.. my Sill is roughly 4 inches.

together, single + double would be a good combo and noise reducer..

Whats everyones thoughts on this? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Total price + install 350$

johnbergstromslc

Re: double glazed + single ??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

That is a good plan - it will give you much more noise reduction than a single pane alone. 

One thing to consider is glass thickness.  Since your single pane window is small, it's probably only SS glass -single strength, 2.5 mm.  It would be wise to order the window with at least DS glass - double strength, 3.0 mm - to avoid any resonance effects.  'DS over DS' would probably add 20-30 bucks to the cost of the window..

3/16" over 3/16" would really kill some noise.  It will add 50-60 bucks to the job, but peace of mind (and sleep) might be worth it. 

Get as big an airspace as aesthetically possible and make sure your installer does a good job caulking - the existing window and both sides of the new one.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »

You might need a dessicant packet (like silica gel) to control condensation in the winter, but otherwise you're good to go.

Also, try a white-noise machine.  It's loud enough to dampen transient noises, like cars passing or leaf-blowers, but not too loud to drown out your alarm clock.  I use one every night and I'm a convert.

This is the one I own:

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMate-980A-Electro-Mechanical-Conditioner/dp/B000KUHFGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298392506&sr=8-1

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »

By big air space.. do you mean between my original window and the double glazed? or space between the glazed widnows?

I have 4 inches to work with between the existing and the new.

I will certainly ask for the thickest windows he's got that would appropriately fit my condition. 50 bucks is worth a billion when it comes to sleep.

how can i tell the difference between a good caulk vs bad?

thank you for responding =)

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:05 AM »

Sorry about that - the airspace between old and new, 2 inches at least.  Most operable windows are limited to 3/4" IG thickness, only fixed windows are 1" or so...   As for caulking, silicone is what you want.  Latex or acrylic will crack eventually.

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »

thanks.. will report back with the results and some pics.. hopefully this will kill the leaf blower noise enough to allow me to sleep through it.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »

I know those leaf-blowers get pretty loud.  That's why I recommended a white-noise machine as well.  The window you're adding will help immensely, but it's not going to get the noise down to nothing.  For that you would need STC 50 or so, equivalent to (2) 1/2" panes of glass with a 3-4" airspace. 

If you raise the ambient noise inside your room the noise spikes are evened out.

Also, before you order, see if the window manufacturer offers different glass thicknesses in their window IG units.  A 3/16" over 1/4" is better than 3/16 over 3/16 or 1/4 over 1/4...  The differing densities of glass will help even more with resonance problems.   

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »

I will call them and ask today.. they are coming out Friday..

thanks for the heads up.

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »

i was told for the price quoted.. the double glazed windows each are 1/8 + 1/8 ...asked him if he can add thicker windows .. he said he is going to call up his window supplier and see if they can replace them with something larger.

is 1/8" windows ok ?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

Any window manufacturer worth their salt can make IGU's with thicker glass....

If this guy tells you 1/8 over 1/8 is all you can get, he's just being lazy.  Go directly to a window distributor/reseller and buy the window yourself if necessary.  Measure your rough openings, minimum width and minimum height and subtract 1/2" from each dimension.  This will be your unit exact size.  You can even specify how wide you want your vents to be, to match your existing window.  Also, ask them to remove the 'nailing fin' to save you time.       

You might even save money if you look through Craigslist and hire a handyman with experience in window installation.  Lots of out-of-work constuction people in this economy...

STFU_Ineed_Sleep

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »

you know i felt the same way too.. why cant you make something thicker?

he has yes to call me back.. but during the convo he provided me with like 3 options.. first one was 350/./ then 450 then 550.. the last one was called the quietline or something..

i asked him what the difference was and I was told that the framing and design etc.. i asked if he could simply replace the windows in the 350$ line with thicker ones.

anyhow. thats where i am at right now .. waiting for a call back..

craigslist idea sounds good. 

here are my thought..

1. could i do like a THICK laminated window rather than double glazed? if so, would the be better at sound reduction?

2. what about double laminated ? lol

3. is it better to just stick with double glazed setup ?

edit: just called some local private guy who will do it for 300 and pretty much however thick its possible / functional.   =)

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »

Well, a thick laminated single pane window would probably work better, but the cost would be prohibitive. 

If I were you, I'd shop around and buy the window myself and hire a guy for install only.