Author Topic: Soundproofing Boiler Room and componets  (Read 4340 times)

SierraBuilder

Soundproofing Boiler Room and componets
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
We installed a new boiler/heater system in the crawl space and it is making noise in the bedroom above it.

Here are some photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102929989128137870189/December172011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOuHkN3Jy-r9Hw&feat=directlink

I think there are 3 contributors to the noise.
*boiler unit itself
*pumps and valves mounted to the walls vibrating through
*grey PVC exhaust pipe vibrating and making noise

The plywood holding all the pipes, pumps etc would be very difficult to remove so I was wondering if there is something I could slip in behind the mounting struts to deaden any through vibrations?

Should I remove the drywall on the ceiling and replace the fiberglass insulation with something else ?  and apply the drywall differently? or should I just leave the drywall and soundproof over that?

And the exhaust pipes? no contact with walls?

Thanks

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing Boiler Room and componets
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
Nice house - can I come live there??

The only things I can see to do at this stage are things you've already mentioned.  If you can get some rubber pads behind the mounting brackets it will dampen the vibration.  You will still need to screw into the plywood but the screws alone will transfer less vibration than the flat face of the bracket.

The second thing is the ceiling drywall.  You want to tear it off and mount the new sheets resiliently. 

It also looks like the drywall is rigidly enclosing the exhaust.  You want to make a gap around the pipe and firestop with resilient caulking.

You probably won't get rid of all noise, but you can improve the situation quite a bit.

Give Randy a call at supersoundproofing and he can hook you up with what you need. 

SierraBuilder

Re: Soundproofing Boiler Room and componets
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »

Thanks for the reply  JB !

Nice house - can I come live there??

The only things I can see to do at this stage are things you've already mentioned.  If you can get some rubber pads behind the mounting brackets it will dampen the vibration.  You will still need to screw into the plywood but the screws alone will transfer less vibration than the flat face of the bracket.

The second thing is the ceiling drywall.  You want to tear it off and mount the new sheets resiliently. 

It also looks like the drywall is rigidly enclosing the exhaust.  You want to make a gap around the pipe and firestop with resilient caulking.

You probably won't get rid of all noise, but you can improve the situation quite a bit.

Give Randy a call at supersoundproofing and he can hook you up with what you need.