Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Vacuum Windows: the wave of the future... maybe  (Read 3194 times)

whatismisophonia

Vacuum Windows: the wave of the future... maybe
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »

Anybody ever heard of the few companies out there making actual vacuum sealed windows? Its difficult to put a good vacuum on the interior of the window because of seals leaking over time and because the panes simply suck together.  They supposedly have decent seals now and have solved the panes-sucking-together problem by decreasing the distance between the panes down to only a few millimeters (mostly for allowing a greater vacuum without shattering the glass), and by installing tiny see-through pegs in grid pattern every inch or so in between the panes to keep them apart. Vacuumed glass is evidently the bee's knees because regular glass only solves one way in which heat moves by not allowing air to pass through. However, a good vacuum sealed window will (more throughly at least, because this is not a perfect vacuum) solve the problem of conduction and convection: if their is no air particles to trasfer heat through, you only have to worry about thermal radiation, which can travel through a vacuum (light, for example, is a higher wavelength form of radiation), however, companies are using low-e coating to help with that problem.  If i remember correctly, the windows have an equivalent r-value of around 18 or so, i think.  At any rate, this also presents an interesting situation for noise control: Sound cannot travel through a vacuum  ;D  Do you guys think these windows would make modern soundproof window obsolete or am i missing something (sound could still travel through the pegs i suppose, but then so could heat)?

whatismisophonia

Re: Vacuum Windows: the wave of the future... maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

just thought id reply to my own subject  :P Im curious as to why nobody has come out with a vacuum sealed door?  I mean, you can buy a vacuum sealed metal coffee container, youd think if people are working so freaking hard on vacuum sealing a window, that a vacuum sealed door would be much easier and would already exist ??? im just sayin...