Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Simple door insulation  (Read 13758 times)

goblinsly

Re: Simple door insulation
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »

Oh and an extra question...if i decide to add a layer of gypsum board to the door ( once i finish strengthening them )....is there a big difference whether i screw them directly to the door or if i use the same number of screws but leave some really minimum gap between gypsium board and doors ? Would that gap be enough to reduce the sound further since there would be no direct contact and sound would have to change the frequency it travels through ( wood - air - gypsium is harder to travel then wood and gypsium ). Or maybe greenglue would be even better ? I am not even sure, does greenglue work as a normal glue soo you dont have to use screws, or is it just like silicone you use in the kitchen ? Not even sure i can buy greenglue in my country, but it sure would be nice, its very cheap and if the reviews are to be belived, it is a mirracle !

whatismisophonia

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 02:57:36 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1994-14.pdf

I originally posted this pdf here:

http://supersoundproofing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3463.0.html

p.s.  I recommend that you get a 15 buck box fan and turn it up to 'high'; your cheapest noise solution.  Also, if you attach with greenglue, you gotta screw it.  You might also look into 'quietglue pro'.  Most people use Greenglue anyway because it's been out longer and isn't so questionable as to whether it gives good results, though GG does requre a longer drying period. Wherever it is that you live, you should be able to get one of those two at least.

goblinsly

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »

Thx for your reply,

I dont need a fan on high speed....i already have a fridge 3 meters away from my bed and in the next days i will insulate it to make it quiet cause it bothers me a lot when i try to sleep or study ( using some neat things like 4 120mm fans ) and also make it more efficient, should be fun.

The doors are doing a great job considering the cost, i just need to fill those gaps because it is known that no mater how well you insulate, if you need gaps like 2cm....it wont work. I have all the material soo in the next days i will do the job and let you know how it went ! I also bought a little wheel to attack to the door since they are very heavy now and constantly bend a little and then drag on the floor. I cant be bothered with an extra or stronger hinge right now soo this should be OK heh.