Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: What STC rating should I target?  (Read 2840 times)

vrd

What STC rating should I target?
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »

Hello -

I just started my research on soundproofing my windows. Our current windows (dual pane) are by Milgard, and I am still trying to find out the model number and STC rating from our builder.

Looking at the Milgard's brochure for their QuietLine series, there appear to be a lot of options which can achieve STC ratings upto 47.

I don't know what rating I need for my windows. Our windows face a street which is two lane road (1 in each direction) with speed limit of 35 miles/hr. Traffic is generally light throughout the day. In the mornings from 6am-8:30am (and 5pm-6:30pm) this road gets busy.
I'd say there are approximately 3-4 cars going in each direction every minute. The noise is higher whenever the road is wet, because of the splashing sound.

What STC rating should I target? I am not looking for a recording studio type silence.

thx,

Vinn

johnbergstromslc

Re: What STC rating should I target?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »

You should buy windows proportional to your wall's STC.  If you have a wooden frame wall with siding, it's likely your STC is in the high 30's or low 40's.  If you have a brick-veneered wall + wood studs and drywall, you could be looking at an STC in the 50's.

You probably don't want to buy a window with a higher STC than the wall, but I would recommend shooting for STC 40, at least.