Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Skylight and Recessed light  (Read 5976 times)

sbkim

Skylight and Recessed light
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Randy and many others, I feel like I am a bit more educated now about soundproofing residential homes.  Randy was kind enough to warn me about recessed lights so I am avoiding them as much as I can on the 2nd floor as I fee like noise will go right through and be amplified by the cans.  I presume skylights are probably no different and perhaps worse given their size?  I've been trying to located STC info on a few Velux brand skylights but to no avail.  One agent just said about 30 STC which I presume will be far worse than ceilings without skylight.  I think I know the answer but just wanted here from you guys - skylights do negatively impact soundproofing?  I could use more light in certain rooms but not enough to introduce unwanted noise (for me it's the airplanes).

Thanks!

Randy S

Re: Skylight and Recessed light
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

You would have to do a double panel system...the original sky light followed by a second panel of plexi-glass installed 6+ inches below the sky light...you need to accomplish the dead air space...and yes windows/ skylights would negate some of the sound control.

sbkim

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »

As always thank you Randy!  Would this cause any issues with condensation? Is it as simple as putting plexi glass in the tunnel as you described? 

Randy S

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

if need be ..throw some silica packs in there to absorb moisture..

sbkim

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

Sorry for yet another question but are ceiling mounted lights that much better in terms of soundproofing performance than recessed lights?  I presume you still need to go through the ceiling and have a smaller box for the fixture.  I am also planning to get those putties to put over the electrical box from the ceiling.  Thanks

Randy S

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

your correct, we recommend a box covering for any recessed lights .and for pancake boxes the use of putty pads on the back is the way we deal with outlets.