Author Topic: Stereo Speakers  (Read 3678 times)

Pez

Stereo Speakers
« on: December 29, 2000, 07:32:03 AM »
Hi.
I had lived in houses for years, and am now in my first apartment.  I'm on the second floor, and the person in the apartment below me has complained about the bass from my stereo speakers coming through to her apartment.  I've heard different suggestions with a situation like this, like getting the speakers off the floor for starters (up on some kind of stand....maybe even a cinderblock?), and also putting some corkboard underneath of them.  I went to a hardware store, and they sell corkboard on a roll and sell it by the foot.  But the stuff is only about a quarter of an inch thick, so wouldn't I have to double or triple it up before putting it underneath of the speakers?
So, any suggestions?  A combination of the two things I mentioned above?  Something else entirely?  I'm open to any tips and suggestions.
Thanks,
Pez

bjnash

Re: Stereo Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2001, 01:33:29 AM »
: Hi.
: I had lived in houses for years, and am now in my first apartment.  I'm on the second floor, and the person in the apartment below me has complained about the bass from my stereo speakers coming through to her apartment.  I've heard different suggestions with a situation like this, like getting the speakers off the floor for starters (up on some kind of stand....maybe even a cinderblock?), and also putting some corkboard underneath of them.  I went to a hardware store, and they sell corkboard on a roll and sell it by the foot.  But the stuff is only about a quarter of an inch thick, so wouldn't I have to double or triple it up before putting it underneath of the speakers?
: So, any suggestions?  A combination of the two things I mentioned above?  Something else entirely?  I'm open to any tips and suggestions.
: Thanks,
: Pez

As many have discovered, bass is hard to control as it is vibratory in nature and tends to follow the structure of the walls and floor, similar to listening for a train by putting your ear to the rail.  Knowing this, isolation of the speaker as much as possible by putting as much distance and airspace between it and the target of the sound is the first step.
The next step is to block as much sound as possible by putting barrier material between it and the target, also in the walls ajoining it as the sound can be ducted down the walls through the structure and the airspace in the walls.
This is done by putting as many layers of soundproofing "FloorMat" under and around it on the walls as it takes.  This depends mostly on the level of sound you are generating and the sensitivity level of the target. This will be effective only to a point as otherwise the entire room would have to be soundproofed for the maximum benefit...