Author Topic: Room within a room didn't work...what can I do now?  (Read 3142 times)

Steve

Room within a room didn't work...what can I do now?
« on: October 23, 2001, 08:54:51 PM »
I have small studio witch I've tried to to turn into a rehearsal space.We built a room within a room, leaving 6" in between the exciting wall and our wall(just drywall and 2" foam,cause we ran out of money).But, now a new guy moved next door and says he can hear everything .So, my question is what can i do now to sound proof his side of the wall?I have only about $300 to put towards this...thanks

bjnash

Re: Room within a room didn't work...what can I do now?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2001, 05:26:49 PM »
: I have small studio witch I've tried to to turn into a rehearsal space. We built a room within a room, leaving 6" in between the exciting wall and our wall(just drywall and 2" foam,cause we ran out of money).But, now a new guy moved next door and says he can hear everything .So, my question is what can i do now to sound proof his side of the wall?I have only about $300 to put towards this...thanks
Should have read our "Myths" page before you started...  Some say Foam actually amplifies sound...  I'd take it out and make sure each wall is sealed to create a dead air space.  Yes, each wall, ceiling need to be devided from each other to make a compartment separate from each other and carefully sealed with acoustical caulk.  Lining these compartments with our Super Soundproofing Mat, even if you use 1/8" is very important because it will dampen the surfaces and absorb sound energy.  A 200 sq ft roll is only $198 so even if you do it on the one wall next to the guy next door, it would be worth while. Lining your room with "Silencer Flooring" and covering with another layer of drywall would be another option, but more expensive.