Author Topic: Loud downstairs roommate.  (Read 5544 times)

doomducky

Loud downstairs roommate.
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:13:43 AM »
Hi,

I currently live in the third floor of an apartment building. However, the person underneath me talks quite loud throughout the night and I can hear murmurs and vibrations as his voices travels through the floor.

It keeps me up at night, and I have no way of changing apartments since all of them are filled.

I am a college student, so money is a problem as well.

Are there any cheap and good options of stopping the noise transmission?

Many thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Loud downstairs roommate.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »
Earplugs.

doomducky

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:55 AM »
I've tried ear plugs, and while they work, my ear canals are smaller than average so they hurt quite a bit after an hour or so.

I can not tear up the floor which is carpet but is it possible to lay down MLV then a rug on top of it? Would that do anything to reduce the noise?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
I've tried ear plugs, and while they work, my ear canals are smaller than average so they hurt quite a bit after an hour or so.

I can not tear up the floor which is carpet but is it possible to lay down MLV then a rug on top of it? Would that do anything to reduce the noise?

I thought you said money was an issue, but if you can afford to completely cover the floor with MLV, then you should spend a little extra and get the MLV + foam product sold on this site.  Make sure you install it correctly, with seams sealed, then you can top it off with a rug.  That will give you some decoupling plus additional mass to block the noise.  Not gonna make it perfectly quiet, but it will help somewhat...

doomducky

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:16 AM »
Would I have to completely cover the whole floor?

The layout of the apartment looks like this

http://caminodelsolliving.com/Resources/Content/Gallery/Camino%204%20bed%202.5%20bath%20A.png?propertyName=Camino+del+Sol++++++++++++++++++++++&constrainWidth=429&constrainHeight=378&format=png&edgeFill.enabled=true&edgeFill.threshold=0.15&edgeFill.targetColor=FFFFFFFF&edgeFill.replaceColor=00FFFFFF&constrainMode=fit&shadow.enabled=true&shadow.color=FF808080&shadow.direction=0.0&shadow.blur=10&z=.png

And the sound originates from the little alcove in front of the bed.

If I seal that off with MLV, would that reduce the noise instead of covering the whole floor?

Also what do you mean by seams sealed off? The seams between the MLV?

Thanks a lot for the help!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:11:51 AM »
Well, the entire floor is radiating the sound.  If you cover a localized area, the noise will still be there, maybe reduced a bit, but you won't be happy with your efforts. 

Yes, you need to seal the seams of the MLV.

Maybe I didn't read your post too carefully - is the noise just murmurs, or is it intelligible speech?  If it's just murmurs, try a white-noise machine before you spend any money.  I've been using one for 8 years, and I use it every night.  It raises the ambient noise level and drowns out transient noises in a quiet space.   

This is the model I own:

http://www.amazon.com/MARPAC-Dohm-DS-Electro-Mechanical-Machine-Sleeping/dp/B002GTR902/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1353380981&sr=8-7&keywords=white+noise+machine

There are other models out there, but I'd recommend staying away from the electronic versions.  Stick with the analog models.

Give it a try...

doomducky

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:56:47 AM »
Oh wow.... I can't believe I didn't come across white noise machines earlier...

And yes, the speech is made up of low frequency murmurs, I can't make out anything. Not extremely low, like thumping bass but low as in male speech low resonating through wood.

Would such a machine placed near my bed get rid of such murmurs?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:33 AM »
Probably, they have 2 volume levels and adjustable variable pitch (by changing the openings) and can drown out pretty loud noises.