Author Topic: Walll off parking lot exhaust noise to bedroom?  (Read 1527 times)

Exhaust Victim

Walll off parking lot exhaust noise to bedroom?
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:08:08 AM »
I live in a small, cheaply constructed, rented house, with our bedroom's exterior wall about 10-15' from the edge of a parking lot.  Our pillows rest against this wall as we sleep, so our heads are right near the wall.  Regular cars' engines do not penetrate the wall much at all, if anything, and never wake me from sleep.  However, cars or trucks with loud bassy exhausts starting up at very late/very early hours blast me right out of the deepest sleep, to the point where my heart is pounding and it is highly disruptive to my sleep (I can't get back to sleep for a long time after). 

This is true for even cars/trucks that have only somewhat loud exhausts but not outrageously loud, mostly because the parking lot is sandwiched between our little house and a bigger building that presents a flat facing edge, so there is sort of a "box canyon" effect and the sound must bounce around in that space, making it--I'd assume--far worse for us. 

I have put some sheet rock over the window--rather haphazardly, and not well fit--and though it may reduce some higher frequency noise, it does nothing to reduce this bassy exhaust noise.  I sleep with a fan on and a pillow over my ear, but the bass sound goes right through it.

My question is:  would it be feasible to create an exterior (or interior?) wall that serves as a reliable barrier to this engine/exhaust sound?  I am really not able to spend much money at all on this and need it to be a kind of stop-gap measure, since we may well move anyway in the next few months. 

I was thinking of an exterior wall with the wall framing made of shipping pallets with the interior of the pallets filled with something dense, like dirt, or some cheap filler material.  I could put it either right up against the house with a small air gap or perhaps closer to the parking lot, and it could be angled to deflect the sound up, partly over the facing building. 

I'd also consider a similar interior wall, but losing space in the bedroom would be a concern. 

Any ideas about feasibility--whether anything like this could work?