Author Topic: sound absorbtion coeffient of styrofoam, styrodur and polyuretane foam  (Read 3032 times)

goblinsly

Hi there,

Right now i am working with several different materials to use for sound absorbtion. I checked certain foam panels online that you can put directly on your walls and prices are quite step, soo naturaly i am looking at some alternatives. The easiest offcourse would be either styrofoam or styrodur, sadly it is not good at sound absorbtion ( do you have any data on that though, i would love to see its absorbant coeficient at different Hz... ).

In my walls i use high density rock wool and i am very happy with it, problem with wool is that it needs to be covered to prevent particles to fly around...

I stumbled on polyuretan foam panels. They are supposed to be good at absorbing sound...not as good as rockwool offcourse but still. Does that mean that if i fill holes with polyuretan foam from spray can, will it do a good job also ? Because this foam is soo cheap i could make panels myself easily.....and as far as i know they dont need to be covered, just as long as there isnt much UV which can destroy them. And i can always paint them with something to protect them...

Soo to put it all together, what i need is: Sound absorbtion coeficient of styrofoam and styrodur ( i dont plan to use it, i am just curious ). And i need you to tell me how good polyuretane foam from can ( spray - spread ) is for sound absorbtion ( for instance to put over some massive wall, doors, etc. ).

jhbrandt

Re: sound absorbtion coeffient of styrofoam, styrodur and polyuretane foam
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Yeah.. I know this thread is over a year old.. but I thought that it would be helpful to post an answer for when people read this down the road...

Absorption coefficients of:
Styrofoam
Styrodur
Polyurethane Foam (like Great Stuff)
Owen/Corning Formular board
- and other similar stuff

IS:          ZERO

While this type of 'insulation' board and foam products do an EXCELLENT job at thermal insulation, they have zero effect on acoustics absorption. They can be reflective from about 400 Hz and up, so they are useful for molding diffusors just as RPG and many other companies have done.

Therefore, these type of products are NOT recommended for wall cavity fill for soundproofing applications and/or room acoustics absorption applications.

Cheers,
John