Author Topic: Green Glue  (Read 3156 times)

dango

Green Glue
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »
Hi all,

I've never used Green Glue before but have read about its use in sound proofing.  I was wondering if anyone might tell me how it performs strictly in terms of adhesion power.  I was hoping to cut down on the use of drywall screws to install another layer. 

thanks much

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Green Glue
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »
Hi all,

I've never used Green Glue before but have read about its use in sound proofing.  I was wondering if anyone might tell me how it performs strictly in terms of adhesion power.  I was hoping to cut down on the use of drywall screws to install another layer. 

thanks much

Sorry to report that these types of visco-elastic coatings have little or no adhesive qualities because they never harden, so cannot bind the surfaces.

To reduce the number of drywall screws (a good idea), calculate how many screws you would need for a single layer and use one third of them for the first layer on the wall and the rest on the second or "top" layer.

You'll have to plan the spacing, etc to do this and remember, you must hit the studs and not to break the paper by pulling them down too tight.

Most codes require a 6-8" spacing, but if this is not a load bearing wall, you can use a 12-16" spacing.

BJ

Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

dango

Re: Green Glue
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
Thanks very much for the info; makes sense. If the paper is punctured by a screw driven too deep, I suppose acoustic caulk would do the trick...