Author Topic: Soundproof sgl brick common wall between neighbor bedrooms  (Read 2508 times)

MeaningOfLights

Soundproof sgl brick common wall between neighbor bedrooms
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:29:32 AM »
Hi,

There is a single-brick common wall between me and my neighbors bedrooms. For a while I have been planning on putting in a wardrobe to reduce the noise. Just recently they had their 1st baby and its a single bedroom apartment. The baby's crying is depriving me of sleep. So here is the scenario:

The Orange box is the wardrobe.
The Yellow line is the wardrobe sliding mirror doors.
The Red line I am hoping is a thin layer of sound proofing material that will fit between the wardrobe backboard and the common wall.

I've got varying advice too.

My carpenter said if you put a inch or so gap between the wardrobe backboard and the wall that will drown noise.
The wardrobe installer said that putting in a backboard will be enough because there is the cloths as dampen noise as well as the mirror doors.

My questions are:

1) Should I cover the common wall with rockwool or slices of fibreglass batts to separate the backboard and wall? The material cant be more than a centimeter thick. Would such thing material make a difference?

2) Who has given the better advice, is the carpenter right in saying leave a gap or will putting the backboard straight on the wall like the wardrobe installer said not make a difference? or is my thinking that insulation in between is the best?

Thanks.

anything