Author Topic: Neighbor's TV coming through the walls  (Read 3856 times)


  • Guest
Neighbor's TV coming through the walls
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:18:45 AM »
My neighbor's loud television is on all day every day and it's becoming a nuisance. It's a small TV but set in a small alcove between their fireplace and the wall and loud enough that the noise (mostly bass) comes through our adjoining walls to an identical alcove on my side and my bedroom on the floor above. My neighbor owns his condo so I can't complain to a landlord and when I've asked them politely (one time offering a dozen cupcakes) to turn it down they've just told me "It's not that loud". It's not loud enough to call the police or anything, just a nonstop low beat with some varied noise that is slowly giving me a headache everyday.

So I need to soundproof my walls (and maybe upstairs floor?) but I'm not sure with what. I have zero experience in this field, so I've got no idea where to start. I assume some kind of acoustic paneling? As a renting student I'd like to not spend more than $200 but I really need a place where I can have peace without constant noising ebbing through the walls so I'll spend what I have to.

I made a pretty picture if it helps:

Thank you for any direction on the matter :)

Randy S

  • Guest
Re: Neighbor's TV coming through the walls
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »
Well absorbing panels will not work for reducing the bass, in order for you to get reduction from the bass you must decouple from the structure. Best applied at the source and cheaper, applied at the receiving side will be more costly and you will have "flank" issues that remain.
Basically, you need to break the structure connection in order to reduce the bass.
Unfortunately this will most likely cost more than $200


  • Guest
Re: Neighbor's TV coming through the walls
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
What your neighbor (however well meaning, is ignorant) is not understanding is that the alcove is acting like a resonating chamber due to it being mostly closed off (I’m assuming that the extension of the fireplace as shown in your pretty pic goes most of the way up).  As such, the tv may be low in volume, but most of it is still coming through the partition.  If the neighbor or landlord is not willing to do any structural decoupling, you could create a temporary solid panel that blocks off the alcove on your side.  That is to say, when you're not using the fireplace, the panel would run from the outer edge of the fireplace to the opposite wall, such that the alcove has been effectively boxed in.  The panel could just be drywall, and you'll have to find a temporary way to seal it at the walls and ceiling. 

p.s.  I like the picture :)  do you study computer design?