Author Topic: Installing additional interior window in master bedroom  (Read 3417 times)

basic_element

Installing additional interior window in master bedroom
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »
My new house has a master bedroom facing a main street. Even though traffic is light, the speed limit is 45mph so each car that passes by can be heard in the room with windows closed. I currently have a standard double pane window about 4.5 by 5.5 feet. I plan to install another interior window leaving about 3 inch gap in between. My question is do I install another double pane window or just a single pane window? I would assume 2 double pane windows is better than 1 double and 1 single. I don't want any "triple leaf" or "quadruple leaf" effect. Or is the 3 inch air space big enough to negate this? Thanks.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Installing additional interior window in master bedroom
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
In your application, don't worry about any triple-leaf effect. The glass in double-paned windows are only about 1/2 inch apart, so 2 units separated by a 3" airspace, each unit will effectively act as one piece of glass.  One thing you do want to worry about is resonance...

Don't get a 'standard' window - it will have 2 panes of single-strength glass, probably identical to what you have now.  These will vibrate at the same natural frequency and cause an annoying 'resonance dip'.  You won't be happy with the results... 

Instead, order a custom window with laminated glass at 3/16" or even 1/4" thickness.  If cost is an issue, even a single pane of thicker laminated glass in the unit will work better than double paned, single strength glass.

basic_element

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
Thanks John. I will ask for the 1/4 inch laminated glass. Do you know how much would be a reasonable costs to get this installed? The window is around 64 inches wide and 51 inches high. I just got a quote from soundproofwindows.com and they want $850 for the window and $238 for shipping so it's $1088 total and I still need to install it myself. I'm in Los Angeles area BTW.

Also can you explain what you mean by resonance dip? Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
Yeah, screw Soundproofwindows - not worth the money.  Just find a local window distributor and tell them what you want.  The initial cost of the window will be higher, maybe double a standard unit, but install should be the same.  Lead time might be longer, too.

If they tell you they can't get laminated glass, they're lying - just being lazy, as some of them are.  Give your business to someone else at that point.  Lots of choices in LA, I'm sure...

Resonance dip refers to the point where there is a 'dip' in the transmission loss (TL) of a partition and lots of sound gets through.  It's around the natural frequency of the material and depends on density. 

All materials have it - drywall, concrete, brick, wood, glass.  That's why you should vary the mass/density from one side of a partition to the other.  And also the reason that 'regular' interior walls have such crappy sound-attenuating properties - each side has the same thickness of drywall on it and they tend to vibrate at the same natural frequency.  The dip for drywall is close to the vocal range, so voices are not damped out very well. 

The more massive the partition is, the smaller the dip and less noticable it is.

basic_element

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:14 AM »
So called a few local places. Most will not install the additional window. One guy will do it but only has dual glazed, not laminate.

One guy can do it with 1/4 inch laminate glass on a vinyl window but is charging $700 for the window and $250 for installation ($950 total). He also carries CitiQuiet windows but that will cost $1200 and $250 installation. At these price points, I'm thinking about just replacing the window with Milgard Quiet Lines, but not sure which one would be more effective.

At this point, I'm thinking I might just go with this sites Magnaseal option with the acrylic sheet. How hard is this to do? i don't have a protruding bottom window sill so I can't do a flush installation. I would need to do a recessed installation inside the window frame. So how big should I make the acrylic sheet? The exact same size as the window frame or a little smaller (how much)? I would think exact same size would be too hard to insert.

Also how does the steel L brackets work at the corners? Would the horizontal brackets overlap with the vertical bracket at the corners or do I need to make one a little shorter so they set side by side? Would this create a small gap and be a problem? Same question about the magnet tape, do I overlap the tape at the corners or cut one side short so they are side by side? Also how do I seal it with caulk or the foam? I'm basically trying to seal any gaps between the window frame and the L brackets correct?

Lastly how would I take off the acrylic sheet to open the windows? Would I need to add some kind of handle to the acrylic sheet? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:00:04 AM »
Try calling the window manufacturers directly.  I bet you can get a better price.

lpaschall

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »
After much research I am purchasing climaseal windows. The additional interior window will be the most effective solution and you want to maximize the air space between the two windows. I have looked at other internal windows and since I very rarely open those windows the climaseal option is the most effective.

anything