Author Topic: Advice regarding triple leaf effect  (Read 3319 times)

Bpaudio

Advice regarding triple leaf effect
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:47 AM »
I'm in the process of building a soundproof recording studio/band practice space in my basement.  The drum room has been framed as a room within a room, including the ceiling. I realized today that I may have made a serious gaff when I designed the room, because I did not know about the triple leaf effect.  Here is the situation:

Before framing any exterior or interior walls, I stuffed the 2x12 ceiling joists with R19 insulation. Then, over the area where I would be framing out my 8x10 drum room, I hung sheets of 5/8 inch drywall.  Then I built my drum room as a room within a room (which by the way has double paned 5'x4' glass windows on two sides....). The top of the outside wall was green glued to the sheetrock on the ceiling and shot with a nail gun through the Sheetrock into the studs. The inside walls are completely free standing, and the 2x4 inside ceiling hangs on the interior walls.

Here is the layering of the drum room ceiling, from the top down:

3/4 inch family room hardwood floor
3/4 inch subfloor
2x12 joist space, stuffed with 6 inch thick batts of R19 fiberglass insulation.
6 inch air gap
5/8 inch Sheetrock (the problem sheetrock)
1 inch air gap
2x4 joist space, stuffed with Roxul safe n' sound insulation

(This is where I currently am in the buildout, but was intending to finish with:)

5/8 inch sheetrock
Green glue
1/2 inch blueboard
Plaster

Do I cut that inside piece of 5/8 out to prevent a triple leaf effect???

I have to decide this now, as I have plans to hang another layer of 5/8 off the inside ceiling tomorrow night!

I have a huge amount of money invested into this space, as I want to be able to record rock drums in my basement at 3am if I so desire.... And if that 5/8 inch sheetrock i hung from my ceiling joists is going to cause me headaches because of a triple leaf problem.... Ill lose my mind.

The rest of the studio is not room within a room, it will just have resilient channel hung from the 2x12s with 5/8, Green glue, 1/2 and plaster hanging from that. Will that ceiling actually be quieter than the drum room because of the triple leaf effect???

I'm at the point where I can pull the Roxul out of the floating ceiling and cut the drywall out, or even take a hole saw and make Swiss cheese out of it.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone.

-Brad

Bpaudio

Re: Advice regarding triple leaf effect
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
Ummmm. Hello???  Help?????

johnbergstromslc

Re: Advice regarding triple leaf effect
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Sorry about the delay in answering - must have skipped by your post.

If by 'floating ceiling' you mean acoustical ceiling panels, you won't get good isolation from that construction at all...  Those panels are designed to absorb a limited amount of noise bouncing around inside a space (i.e. an office), but for direct transmission loss, they are virtually worthless. They have limited mass and are full of holes, not to mention all the gaps around the perimeter of the panel.  Wrong application, dude.... 

By all means, remove the ceiling, tear off the 5/8 drywall from the bottom of the floor joists and get rid of the 'floating ceiling' panel system altogether!

Instead, put 2 layers of 1/2" drywall (I'd recommend 3 X 5/8" actually, for drums but weight would be an issue) on the 2X4 'inside' ceiling, after insulating the crap out of the cavity.  Make sure there are no unsealed gaps or penetrations and that should give you much better soundproofing.

If weight is still an issue, you'll have to improvise with some kind of resilient hangers to tie the 2x4's to the 2x6 joists.  (There are manufacturers that sell brackets with springs/bushings to break the vibration, but I haven't used them really;  call the number on this site and talk to Randy, I'm sure they have a solution...)

Then you can glue on the acoustic panels for absorbtion inside the room, or attach the system to your new, effective ceiling. 

Keep in mind the limitations, though.  You are in a wood-framed structure and although you can get better isolation, you're not going to approach a professional recording studio level.  They build those things like bomb shelters, with concrete as well as insulated, secondary walls.  Having a 3 am drum jam-session without disturbing anyone else is probably unrealistic.... 

anything