Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Double window installation  (Read 2752 times)

Bizzy

Double window installation
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »

hi guys. I am trying to reduce traffic noise as I live next to a semi-busy street. I have old double pane windows but they look old and thin and i can clearly hear alot of traffic.
I found that I might spend the same to fabricate a set of laminated glass to work as window plugs. I have been quoted $250 for each 48x58 double pane retrofit sliders.

Can anyone confirm that it will work if I install a set of retrofit within the inside of the window and noise should be reduced dramatically?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Double window installation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

As long as you take care to get a good seal and as large as possible airspace, laminated glass will definitely cut down the noise, I guarantee.

Before installing the laminated glass, check your existing windows.  You may want to invest in replacing those as well.  If you can hear a lot of noise, they are clearly leaking air and costing you money in heating/cooling. 

It is preferable that both sets of windows have excellent seals. 

Bizzy

Re: Double window installation
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »

Just to be clear what i wanted to do was to just buy retrofit windows and install them from the inside of the window and leave the existing windows.
I wanted to avoid the trouble to fabricate window plugs from glass because it seems like the cost will be the same. I found around here in So Cal the cost of laminated glass is very expensive and it would cost either more to fabricate these.

So to be clear my goal is to install retrofit windows from the inside.