Author Topic: Soundproofing party walls - 2 different methods have been offered to me  (Read 5841 times)

joneser981234

I have been given two quotes for sound-proofing the party walls of my terrace house. Both quotes have similar approaches, but use different materials so it would be great to get feedback on which approach would be best at blocking airborne sound...

QUOTE 1 (list of layers from brick wall)

- "SonaSwing" acoustic battens (50mm) at 600mm centres
- "RW A 45" 50mm insulation in between battens
- 1 layer of standard plasterboard
- 1 layer of standard plasterboard (overlapping joins of previous)
- Plaster finish

QUOTE 2 (list of layers from brick wall)

- Wooden battens (50mm) with layer of acoustic tape on both sides
- 50mm "high density rockwool" in between battens
- 1 layer of acoustic plasterboard
- 1 layer of acoustic plasterboard (overlapping joins of previous)
- Plaster finish

Both are fairly similar price-wise.

On the plus side for Quote 1 we have "SonaSwing" battens. I've never heard of SonaSwing (perhaps I'm spelling it wrongly), but the guy said that his sound engineer swears by it.

On the plus side for Quote 2 we have acoustic plasterboard (higher density than standard plasterboard).

Is acoustic tape wrapped over a wooden batten a good solution?

whatismisophonia

Personally, I’d go #1, as the decoupling will be better, considering that sonaswing is a type of resilient channel.  Acoustic drywall will not be much more effective if it is simply more dense.  A type of dampened drywall like Quietrock (makers of Quiteglue Pro) or Silentfx (makers of Greenglue) would be better, though more expensive.  Of course, if I could do whatever I wanted, I would build a stud wall of 2x4 inch (90mm) or 2x3 inch (64mm) lumber with at least a ½ inch (13mm) of distance between the brick wall and stud wall, then attach 2 or 3 layers of plasterboard with sound damping compound in between layers.  I recommend you do some research on ‘sound isolation’ and ‘decoupling’.  I’ve been making some videos about the basics I’ve learned about soundproofing and uploading them at my youtube account ‘whatismisophonia’, seeing as how youtube has terrible soundproofing info.

joneser981234

Handy, thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to enquire about dampened plasterboard.

Would go with your suggestion about the ideal soundproofing method but unfortunately I don't have too much internal space to play with.

johnbergstromslc

"Ideal soundproofing method" = a thick, concrete structure buried in the desert sand, miles away from any noise source.

Settle for 'good enough' to give you some peace...

joneser981234

Just following up on this... I've decided Quote 1 will be the best approach to take.

The engineer reckons I will get up to between 61-64db with the existing solution (currently is approx 40db level with just the brick party wall and single layer of plasterboard).

Is there any point in spending extra to get GreenGlue between the 2 layers of plasterboard?

Will it only achieve an extra 3 db or so?

johnbergstromslc

Just following up on this... I've decided Quote 1 will be the best approach to take.

The engineer reckons I will get up to between 61-64db with the existing solution (currently is approx 40db level with just the brick party wall and single layer of plasterboard).

Is there any point in spending extra to get GreenGlue between the 2 layers of plasterboard?

Will it only achieve an extra 3 db or so?

If you can get an STC of 60+, don't waste money on Green Glue.  You're right - it will only add a few more db of reduction.

Just do yourself a favor and don't tell your neighbors you've done any soundproofing.  It will give them a false sense of security and they will crank the noise....