Author Topic: Suggestions on soundproofing existing room in single family home.  (Read 1775 times)

lpaschall

Modified the subject title....

I would like to start by saying this is a gerat resource and have learned alot form the forums. I have experience building a soundproof home theatre and bedroom in my basement and used a combination of methods so I have some first hand knowledge of techniques such as RC, double drywall with green glue, accoustical sealant, and the soundproofing tapes.

My neighbors have become nosier during outside parties and a distant generator noise from another neighbor. I am looking for suggestions on how to soundproof a 2nd floor master bedroom. The room has three casement windows and a master bathroom with two casement windows. My initial thought was to add another layer of drywall with green glue, seal well with accoustical sealant, and adding Clima Seal Accoustic Series inserts to the windows. The downside of this approach is that I need to remove all molding and trim, in addition to modifying the windows sills to accomodate the extra width of they drywall.

Does anyone have any experience with soundproofing from the outside? I was thinking that I could remove the siding, seal up any cracks or holes in the sheathing, then maybe install some 1/2lb or 1lb MLV on the exterior wall under the siding. I would then install some drywall with green glue in the attic above the room to reduce airborne noise that may enter from the ceiling. Lastly I would install the clima seal windows as I believe that is the cause of the majority of the sound entering the room. The sound is not booming or very loud by my wife is very sensitive to the noise and I have to almost stop breathing to hear it myself... :-)

Would this be an effective solution?I would enjoy hearing any other suggestions as well. I am ready to demo the bedroom internally if needed.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Suggestions on soundproofing existing room in single family home.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
Yeah, I've been down this road...

Trust me, confine all your work to the inside.  Anything you do on the outside will instantly attract the attention of the building inspector.  I don't know if you've ever dealt with a stop-work order and trying to get permits retroactively, but it's not fun!

And you're right, the windows are leaking most of the noise.  Even if you do extensive interior soundproofing, the window sills will remain intact, so you can replace those without compromising any future soundproofing you decide to do. 

After you get new windows, you might find your noise problem has been solved to a satisfactory level....