Author Topic: Soundproofing bedroom and bath  (Read 3739 times)

Craig Bringman

Soundproofing bedroom and bath
« on: December 29, 2000, 09:30:03 PM »
Dear Soundproofing experts,
I own a condo that was built in 1998.  The unit above me already has
loose pipes.  When the tenants above me use the sink, dishwasher, shower, I
hear the water go thru the pipes and then the pipes start to slowly clang,ping
or rattle slowly.  The gentlemen who manages the property has not really done
anything to correct the problem because the builder has taken off and can not be
found.  How can I soundproof this problem?  If you need more information, pleaese
let me know.  I just wanted to get to the point.  
Thanks,
Craig

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing bedroom and bath
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2001, 01:44:51 AM »
: Dear Soundproofing experts,
: I own a condo that was built in 1998.  The unit above me already has
: loose pipes.  When the tenants above me use the sink, dishwasher, shower, I
: hear the water go thru the pipes and then the pipes start to slowly clang,ping
: or rattle slowly.  The gentlemen who manages the property has not really done
: anything to correct the problem because the builder has taken off and can not be
: found.  How can I soundproof this problem?  If you need more information, pleaese
: let me know.  I just wanted to get to the point.  
: Thanks,
: Craig
I would guess this is a "hammer" problem made worse by loose piping that any competant plumber can fix easily.  Usually this involves just adding a tank to the pipe system to allow expansion and contraction thereby not stressing the pipes.
The worst case scenaio is to gain access and wrap the pipe with our pipe soundproofing material, then fasten them down securely.  Try the tank thing first, it will probably do it.

RC

Re: Soundproofing bedroom and bath
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 08:59:14 PM »
: : Dear Soundproofing experts,
: : I own a condo that was built in 1998.  The unit above me already has
: : loose pipes.  When the tenants above me use the sink, dishwasher, shower, I
: : hear the water go thru the pipes and then the pipes start to slowly clang,ping
: : or rattle slowly.  The gentlemen who manages the property has not really done
: : anything to correct the problem because the builder has taken off and can not be
: : found.  How can I soundproof this problem?  If you need more information, pleaese
: : let me know.  I just wanted to get to the point.  
: : Thanks,
: : Craig
: I would guess this is a "hammer" problem made worse by loose piping that any competant plumber can fix easily.  Usually this involves just adding a tank to the pipe system to allow expansion and contraction thereby not stressing the pipes.
Could you elaborate on the "tank to pipe" system?  Where will the tank physically sit -- in the apt above?  Thanks for the clarification

anything