Author Topic: How do I soundproof my apartment wall against noisy outdoor fan?  (Read 3695 times)

NoisyNYC

How do I soundproof my apartment wall against noisy outdoor fan?
« on: November 06, 2001, 03:34:20 AM »
HELP!!! I just moved into a NYC apartment above a restaurant and my bedroom feels like the engine room of a ship! There is an enormous fan attached to the  outside wall of my building, directly underneath my  window. The fan produces a loud, constant, whirring noise that travels through the wall into my room. The wall also contains a door that leads to a balcony. The upper portion of the door contains a glass pane. I am looking for a simple and inexpensive way (landlord is no help) to soundproof the wall, the door, and the window. If necessary, I can block off the door, since we are not using the balcony and have two more exits. Any ideas re: how to effectively reduce the noise? Since I am renting, I do not want to permanently alter the wall or cause any damage that a coat of paint can't fix. Thank you!

bjnash

Re: How do I soundproof my apartment wall against noisy outdoor fan?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2001, 05:42:57 PM »
: HELP!!! I just moved into a NYC apartment above a restaurant and my bedroom feels like the engine room of a ship! There is an enormous fan attached to the  outside wall of my building, directly underneath my  window. The fan produces a loud, constant, whirring noise that travels through the wall into my room. The wall also contains a door that leads to a balcony. The upper portion of the door contains a glass pane. I am looking for a simple and inexpensive way (landlord is no help) to soundproof the wall, the door, and the window. If necessary, I can block off the door, since we are not using the balcony and have two more exits. Any ideas re: how to effectively reduce the noise? Since I am renting, I do not want to permanently alter the wall or cause any damage that a coat of paint can't fix. Thank you!
:  
This needs the techniques described in the "Windowplug" page here on the website. Blocking off this area with foam mat would be the simplist solution.