Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Aircraft Noise  (Read 5784 times)

mis3

Aircraft Noise
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:26:28 AM »

I live in a house which is on the path of a nearby airport.    The house is 12 years old and I have little idea how good are my windows in term of sound proofing.    I do hear aircraft noise inside the house. 

Some of the double-pane windows (casement) are in poor condition where I can see moisture in between panes. The caulking of the outside window frames are all cracked.   

I will have to replace the windows and my windows salesman is more familiar with energy efficiency but knows little about sound proofing.  The original double-pane windows are in 3mm-3mm configuration.  He first suggested 4mm-4mm glass panes with argon gas in between.   I did my research and learned some facts in sound proofing windows. 

I asked my salesman and he had to refer to his window manufacturer.  They suggested a configuration of 6mm-3mm glass panes with the total thickness of the glass assembly of one inch.  This is close to what some sound proofing sites recommended (1/8 inch and 1/4 inch).

0.25 inch = 6.35mm
1/8 inch = 3.25mm

I am wondering if 6mm-4mm configuration is even better (in sound proof) than 6mm-3mm.   Can you please help?   I know that it will be expensive to completely eliminate the noise but my objective is to reduce the noise within reasonable budget. 

By the way, I will also replace 3 of the 3 sliding windows to casement. 

jhbrandt

Re: Aircraft Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »

Mis3,

Thicker is always better when it comes to soundproofing. so 6mm + 4mm is a good choice. Your next step would be panes of laminated glass 10 - 16 mm thick.

You should do testing before you 'jump' to ensure that the windows are your only problem. You may need to deal with your roof/ceiling structure/mass. Airborne sound from aircraft is 'all penetrating' and mostly low frequency in nature. Low frequency airborne sound requires mass - and a lot of it. In critical situations (mastering and sound studios) rooms and ceilings need to be decoupled from the structure...

Please tell us the structure of you home, i.e; brick, cement, frame, etc., and roof type. With more information, I can suggest a solution.

Cheers,
John

mis3

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

I have already commited to the 1/4 inch - 1/8 inch (6mm - 3mm) configuration.  I read from several sites that this is the perferred glass thicknesses for sound proofing.  In fact, the salesman went back to the window manufacturer and they recommended the same configuration.  The glass assemply is 1-inch thick (with the 2 glass panes) and will be filled with argon gas. 

My house is a semi-deteched, 2 story house with 3 bedrooms in the upper level.  The exterior is brick and I am not sure what kind of roof this is.     

jhbrandt

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:26 PM »

Okay, good luck with that. I hope it does the trick.

I'm not selling anything... Remember that they will 'sell' you what they make the most money on. ;) Not necessarily what is best for your problem. 1/4" and 1/8" is great for thermal and the 'normal' noise from outside, i. e; children playing, people talking. - But that STC 25-27 double pane window glass will probably not have much effect on the low frequency rumble from aircraft.

Argon is a good thermal gas.

A single pane of 40mm (1 1/2") laminated glass will offer only about STC36.

Cheers,
John

mis3

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »

I hope so too. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, my salesman is very knowledgeable in enenry efficiency, not too much in sound proof.   This is why his initial offer was 4mm-4mm glass panes.  I did my own research and I was the one who bought up the idea of dissimilar glass thickness to him.  He went on to consult his window manufacturer.

During my research, I found a few sites with the same recommendation of 1/4 inch - 1/8 inch glass panes.  Coincidence or not, the window manufacturer recommended the same glass thicknesses.   

jhbrandt

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »

:) Let us know how it turns out.

Be sure to check all wall/ceiling penetrations and trim work. It is often an electrical fixture or door/window trim that is the 'leaky' culprit. Seal is very important.

I just posted a document on my site that I'm sure that you will find informative.
http://jhbrandt.net/InsulatingBuildingsAgainstAircraftNoiseAReview.pdf

Good luck!
Cheers,
John