Author Topic: Sound proofing 100+ old home?  (Read 3211 times)

Jamie

Sound proofing 100+ old home?
« on: November 07, 2001, 11:47:51 AM »

Hi there,
   We live on a secondary highway in the country, there is not a lot of traffic on the road but there is are some transport truck that pass buy and they are noisy. I have read some of the remedies on how to sound proof the house, we are currently replacing all of our windows in the house which should help. I was up in the attic there last week and noticed that it was noisy as heck up there, I found that the eves had no insulation in them, should I put some there, or should I leave it the way it is for air circulation?
 Also I see that there are sound proofing drapes on the market, what makes the drapes sound proof? And one other question, can I sound proof the walls of the house without using blown in insulation or tearing the
walls apart, is there a pour in soultion form say the attic?  
  Thanks for the help.
     Jamie

bjnash

Re: Sound proofing 100+ old home?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2001, 05:55:21 PM »
:
:   Hi there,
:     We live on a secondary highway in the country, there is not a lot of traffic on the road but there is are some transport truck that pass buy and they are noisy. I have read some of the remedies on how to sound proof the house, we are currently replacing all of our windows in the house which should help. I was up in the attic there last week and noticed that it was noisy as heck up there, I found that the eves had no insulation in them, should I put some there, or should I leave it the way it is for air circulation?
These are "Soffets" for providing air circulation and there is a way to soundproof them.. However, caulking up gaps and crevices is also extremely important too.
:   Also I see that there are sound proofing drapes on the market, what makes the drapes sound proof?
These drapes are made of a heavy material and lined with a "Thermoform" material.  We have some expensive used ones on the site for sale cheap.
And one other question, can I sound proof the walls of the house without using blown in insulation or tearing the
: walls apart, is there a pour in soultion form say the attic?  
:    Thanks for the help.
:       Jamie
Nothing very effective for sound control.  You may want to get a copy of the non-technical EPA reprint:  "Quieting in the Home", as a public service, we've reprinted it and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP (You can order from the web site with your credit card!) This will answer your questions better than we can here and tell you how to properly block your soffets.  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm