Author Topic: Noisy HVAC fan & intake vent (indoors)  (Read 6209 times)

ZMike

Noisy HVAC fan & intake vent (indoors)
« on: November 12, 2001, 04:22:30 PM »
Looking at a nice new home I'm interested in buying, one nasty quirk
of the floorplan is that the air conditioning/heating
system has the air intake in the wall of the master bedroom.  The intake directly feeds into a small closet which contains the fan, evaporator, etc. This
results in fairly loud air-suction "whooshy" noise in the
bedroom when the AC/heat is running.
Any tips on insulating the air intake duct and/or the rest of the AC
cabinet to reduce air whoosh? Thanks for suggestions...

bjnash

Re: Noisy HVAC fan & intake vent (indoors)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2001, 04:37:30 AM »
: Looking at a nice new home I'm interested in buying, one nasty quirk
: of the floorplan is that the air conditioning/heating
: system has the air intake in the wall of the master bedroom.  The intake directly feeds into a small closet which contains the fan, evaporator, etc. This
: results in fairly loud air-suction "whooshy" noise in the
: bedroom when the AC/heat is running.
: Any tips on insulating the air intake duct and/or the rest of the AC
: cabinet to reduce air whoosh? Thanks for suggestions...
The "Whoosh" you describe is caused by the air moving too fast, the answer is to slow it by opening the vent duct somewhat and perhaps changing the baffle.  The noise in the cabinet can easily by reduced by lining it and the ducting with the SSP absorbent mat shown in the chart at the page below.  

Zmike

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2001, 03:00:01 PM »
Thanks a lot for the reply.  Another suggestion I heard was to replace the louvered, sheetmetal grille with an "egg crate" design, that is more open to airflow.  Any idea if that might help?
: The "Whoosh" you describe is caused by the air moving too fast, the answer is to slow it by opening the vent duct somewhat and perhaps changing the baffle.  The noise in the cabinet can easily by reduced by lining it and the ducting with the SSP absorbent mat shown in the chart at the page below.  

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2001, 10:29:41 PM »
: Thanks a lot for the reply.  Another suggestion I heard was to replace the louvered, sheetmetal grille with an "egg crate" design, that is more open to airflow.  Any idea if that might help?
: : The "Whoosh" you describe is caused by the air moving too fast, the answer is to slow it by opening the vent duct somewhat and perhaps changing the baffle.  The noise in the cabinet can easily by reduced by lining it and the ducting with the SSP absorbent mat shown in the chart at the page below.  
To test whether this might help: Take off the existing baffle/louvers- any reduction in sound would indicate they are at fault too.