Author Topic: Fiberglass Walls in a Loft  (Read 2656 times)

Michael Williams

Fiberglass Walls in a Loft
« on: November 12, 2001, 11:23:55 PM »
I live in a warehouse that has been converted into a living space using Fiberglass insulation boards framed by Plywood for walls. This is of course TERRIBLE at blocking sound, but it does the job of cheeply dividing the space up into rooms.
Is there anything we can do with the existing, non-sheetrock, walls to make the area more soundproof? As it stands the acustics are pretty much the same as without the walls.
I really don't want to have to take the walls down and redo them with sheetrock.
Help me from going insane listening to my roomates!
--
Michael

bjnash

Re: Fiberglass Walls in a Loft
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2001, 04:45:34 AM »
: I live in a warehouse that has been converted into a living space using Fiberglass insulation boards framed by Plywood for walls. This is of course TERRIBLE at blocking sound, but it does the job of cheeply dividing the space up into rooms.
: Is there anything we can do with the existing, non-sheetrock, walls to make the area more soundproof? As it stands the acustics are pretty much the same as without the walls.
: I really don't want to have to take the walls down and redo them with sheetrock.
: Help me from going insane listening to my roomates!
: --
: Michael
Walls with less than an STC (Sound Transmissibility Class)  of 20 or less means you can hear stuff like conversation through them quite readily. A STC of 40 means the converstion goes away and loud shouting would have to be done and an STC of 60 means no loud shouting can be heard.
So the question is, how to improve the STC to the level you want.  Mass Loaded Vinyl is one answer it has a rating of 26 and is only 1/8th of an inch thick.  Sheetrock: 8 STC points - 1/32nd lead: 31 STC points, etc  You'd need a couple layers as your present wall has little STC...  

john

Re: Fiberglass Walls in a Loft
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 02:25:19 PM »
: I live in a warehouse that has been converted into a living space using Fiberglass insulation boards framed by Plywood for walls. This is of course TERRIBLE at blocking sound, but it does the job of cheeply dividing the space up into rooms.
: Is there anything we can do with the existing, non-sheetrock, walls to make the area more soundproof? As it stands the acustics are pretty much the same as without the walls.
: I really don't want to have to take the walls down and redo them with sheetrock.
: Help me from going insane listening to my roomates!
: --
: Michael

anything