Author Topic: Apartment window plugs  (Read 5140 times)

Vin

Apartment window plugs
« on: November 14, 2001, 05:05:27 PM »
Has anyone used the closed cell vinyl-nitrile noise control foam sold on this site to make a window plug?  How well does it work?  Several folks I know have suggested that I use standard foam, which would be cheaper... thoughts?

bjnash

Re: Apartment window plugs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2001, 05:08:10 AM »
: Has anyone used the closed cell vinyl-nitrile noise control foam sold on this site to make a window plug?  How well does it work?  Several folks I know have suggested that I use standard foam, which would be cheaper... thoughts?
 Standard foam would be worthless as it is "open celled" which means air will blow through it quite easiely, converse to closed cell foam, such is our "Super Soundproofing Mat".  Countless folks would attest to the success of this over the last 9 years if we would intrude to ask them!

Vin

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2001, 01:02:08 PM »
Is there any issue with its odor (as is the case with Celotex?)

: : Has anyone used the closed cell vinyl-nitrile noise control foam sold on this site to make a window plug?  How well does it work?  Several folks I know have suggested that I use standard foam, which would be cheaper... thoughts?
:  Standard foam would be worthless as it is "open celled" which means air will blow through it quite easiely, converse to closed cell foam, such is our "Super Soundproofing Mat".  Countless folks would attest to the success of this over the last 9 years if we would intrude to ask them!

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2001, 10:26:59 PM »
: Is there any issue with its odor (as is the case with Celotex?)
:
: : : Has anyone used the closed cell vinyl-nitrile noise control foam sold on this site to make a window plug?  How well does it work?  Several folks I know have suggested that I use standard foam, which would be cheaper... thoughts?
: :  Standard foam would be worthless as it is "open celled" which means air will blow through it quite easiely, converse to closed cell foam, such is our "Super Soundproofing Mat".  Countless folks would attest to the success of this over the last 9 years if we would intrude to ask them!
When the material is newly manufactured, one can detect a vinyl odor similar to freshly opened shower curtain packages.  It will usually go away in 24 hours or less, if unrolled, depending on the temperature.  We did have someone return some material that after 3 days outside on her porch, she said still had some detectable smell.  (It was below freezing during this time).  When we got it back, it was fine...

anything