Author Topic: Help with simple soundproofing solution?  (Read 2892 times)

Erica

Help with simple soundproofing solution?
« on: November 20, 2001, 12:47:57 AM »
This website is great. Here's the deal..
I live in an apartment that has a garage attached to it. (my apt is upstairs and stairs lead down into the garage). Two of the walls are shared by other garages and the wall with stairs is shared with someone's kitchen (I think).  Above my garage is my own apt. I want to use it to play guitar in.  I'm not in a band and I have a tiny amp, so the noise level won't be huge. I would like to Soundproof it (keeping it from pissing off my neighbors, I don't mind any level of noice at all myself!) I don't know much about soundproofing and I'm not a construction worker...so building a room within my garage is out of the question at this time. I'm thinking more along the lines of nailing a blanket to the wall (hey, that wasn't in the "myths" section!)  So is there anything simple I could do to keep the noise within the garage and reduce the amount of noise that can be heard by my neighbors as much as possible? Thanks!
-Erica

bjnash

Re: Help with simple soundproofing solution?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2001, 05:37:43 PM »
: This website is great. Here's the deal..
: I live in an apartment that has a garage attached to it. (my apt is upstairs and stairs lead down into the garage). Two of the walls are shared by other garages and the wall with stairs is shared with someone's kitchen (I think).  Above my garage is my own apt. I want to use it to play guitar in.  I'm not in a band and I have a tiny amp, so the noise level won't be huge. I would like to Soundproof it (keeping it from pissing off my neighbors, I don't mind any level of noice at all myself!) I don't know much about soundproofing and I'm not a construction worker...so building a room within my garage is out of the question at this time. I'm thinking more along the lines of nailing a blanket to the wall (hey, that wasn't in the "myths" section!)  So is there anything simple I could do to keep the noise within the garage and reduce the amount of noise that can be heard by my neighbors as much as possible? Thanks!
: -Erica
A typical common wall will allow sound of conversation thru it
readily- we say has a rating of 20 STC points.  A rating of 40  means
the conversation goes away and loud shouting would be needed to be
heard.  A rating of 60 means loud shouting is not heard.
Now, what is the rating of the materials you would need to put on the wall?
(and the wall must be completely covered!).  Blankets and Ceiling tiles may have a
rating of 2.  Soundboard from the hardware store has a rating of 4-6
and 5/8" firecode drywall sheet has a rating of maybe 8-10 etc etc
Check this link:  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm
You may want to get a copy of the non-technical EPA reprint:
"Quieting in the Home", as a public service, we've reprinted it and
it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP. You can order from the web site with your credit card!
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
Super Soundproofing Co, 1531 AVOHILL DR, VISTA, CA 92084-1325  PHONE:
760-749-7049  8-6 5 Days Only

anything