Author Topic: Outdoor heat pump compressor noise  (Read 8220 times)

Charlie

Outdoor heat pump compressor noise
« on: January 01, 2001, 01:00:10 AM »
There is a outdoor heat pump/air conditioner compressor unit that is about 7 feet from my bedroom window. This unit is my next door neighbors. I was planning on building a type of sound barrier wall that was 6 feet high and 4 feet wide, the compressor is only 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet high, and locating it close to the property line which is 5 feet from the house. I was going to construct the wall with pressure treated wood. I was going to fill the 2x4 frame with a sound control type of fiberglass insulation and closing in the frame with 1/2" plywood and then cover the plywood with 1x4 decking boards. The window in my bedroom is a new vinyl double pane.  Will this wall provide a substantial sound reduction?

bjnash

Re: Outdoor heat pump compressor noise
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2001, 07:27:04 PM »
: There is a outdoor heat pump/air conditioner compressor unit that is about 7 feet from my bedroom window. This unit is my next door neighbors. I was planning on building a type of sound barrier wall that was 6 feet high and 4 feet wide, the compressor is only 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet high, and locating it close to the property line which is 5 feet from the house. I was going to construct the wall with pressure treated wood. I was going to fill the 2x4 frame with a sound control type of fiberglass insulation and closing in the frame with 1/2" plywood and then cover the plywood with 1x4 decking boards. The window in my bedroom is a new vinyl double pane.  Will this wall provide a substantial sound reduction?
This a good plan, however here are some pointers: the wall must be higher and wider than your window. Make it as hign and wide as practical to reduce flanking sound paths. Wood is an excellent sound conductor so cement block for your fence would be better.  Line the face of your wall toward the compressor with sound absorbent material like our SSP sound absorbent mat, the thicker the better.
Stopping the sound at the source is always better, won't he let you place a box as described below over it?

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2001, 11:02:55 PM »
: : There is a outdoor heat pump/air conditioner compressor unit that is about 7 feet from my bedroom window. This unit is my next door neighbors. I was planning on building a type of sound barrier wall that was 6 feet high and 4 feet wide, the compressor is only 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet high, and locating it close to the property line which is 5 feet from the house. I was going to construct the wall with pressure treated wood. I was going to fill the 2x4 frame with a sound control type of fiberglass insulation and closing in the frame with 1/2" plywood and then cover the plywood with 1x4 decking boards. The window in my bedroom is a new vinyl double pane.  Will this wall provide a substantial sound reduction?
: This a good plan, however here are some pointers: the wall must be higher and wider than your window. Make it as hign and wide as practical to reduce flanking sound paths. Wood is an excellent sound conductor so cement block for your fence would be better.  Line the face of your wall toward the compressor with sound absorbent material like our SSP sound absorbent mat, the thicker the better.
: Stopping the sound at the source is always better, won't he let you place a box as described below over it?

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean that wood is an excellent sound conductor? Does this mean that the wood will not only provide some type of soundproofing but may actually enhance the sound?
I could probably increase the height of the wall to 8 feet with no problem. This should be higher than the bedroom window. The width of the window is 36" and I was planning on a width of the wall to be 48".

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2001, 05:39:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean that wood is an excellent sound conductor? Does this mean that the wood will not only provide some type of soundproofing but may actually enhance the sound?
I could probably increase the height of the wall to 8 feet with no problem. This should be higher than the bedroom window. The width of the window is 36" and I was planning on a width of the wall to be 48".

Yes, wood can enhance it.  Make the wall as high and as wide as practical!

Benbillick

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:52 AM »
Hi  Charlie,
My outdoor heat pump makes a terrible din and I'd like to build a soundproof box over it while still allowing the machine to intake air and not overheat.  Unfortunately the link you posted for the diy box is password protected even though i am logged in.  can you repost please?

Thanks!

anything