Author Topic: Soundproofing in new home construction/home theater  (Read 3950 times)

dc

Soundproofing in new home construction/home theater
« on: November 20, 2001, 01:01:16 AM »
I hope you'll forgive the multiple questions, but I am seeking advice for new home construction.
What construction technique would you suggest as optimal/cost-effective for soundproofing between floors for new home construction that uses an "Engineered Floor System/Silent Floor Joist" system ?
For interior walls, are staggered studs on a single plate the most cost effective/easiest for a builder to use compared to other methods ?  Do you recommend using staggered stud construction on all walls (including exterior, insulated walls), or just on adjoining room walls ?  If I use sound control insulation, are there better insulators than pink fibreglass batt insulation ?
What is the best way to soundproof water supply pipes and drainage pipes so that people on the main floor don't hear the shower or bath upstairs ?  Are plastic lines better than copper ?
For a basement home theater, is it necessary to further soundproof a concrete floor with carpet/underlay on top, and if so, what would you recommend ?
Also on the basement home theater, I can understand putting an extra set of walls around to create dead air space, but how can a second drywalled ceiling be built without anchoring it to the joists above ?
Thanks - D.

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing in new home construction/home theater
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2001, 04:42:51 AM »

: I hope you'll forgive the multiple questions, but I am seeking advice for new home construction.
: What construction technique would you suggest as optimal/cost-effective for soundproofing between floors for new home construction that uses an "Engineered Floor System/Silent Floor Joist" system ?
Probably the "MAss Loaded Vinyl" or lead  sheeting.
: For interior walls, are staggered studs on a single plate the most cost effective/easiest for a builder to use compared to other methods ?  Do you recommend using staggered stud construction on all walls (including exterior, insulated walls), or just on adjoining room walls ?  
Yes.
If I use sound control insulation, are there better insulators than pink fibreglass batt insulation ?
Yes, of course!
: What is the best way to soundproof water supply pipes and drainage pipes so that people on the main floor don't hear the shower or bath upstairs ?  
Insulate them with soundproofing mat and cover the insides of their drywall compartments with it too.
Are plastic lines better than copper ?
I may be wrong, but I don't think there would be much difference.
: For a basement home theater, is it necessary to further soundproof a concrete floor with carpet/underlay on top, and if so, what would you recommend ?
Adding carpet would increase the absorbency of the room, but not add to the soundproofing.
: Also on the basement home theater, I can understand putting an extra set of walls around to create dead air space, but how can a second drywalled ceiling be built without anchoring it to the joists above ?
This would be a "false" ceiling, with it's joists supported at their ends on the walls or with supports at the walls.  Sometimes not practical with a basement that has low ceilings anyway.
: Thanks - D.
Your project is large enough, you may want to get a copy of the non-technical EPA reprint:  "Quieting in the Home", as a public service, we've reprinted it and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm

anything