Author Topic: Soundproofing hardwood floor  (Read 2564 times)

toddmpa

Soundproofing hardwood floor
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »
Hi, this is the second floor of a single family home under construction but involves impact transmission problems common to multifamily.

My problem is compromising the limitations of radiant heat under hardwood while eliminating footfall sounds as much as possible.

The basics: Advantech subflooring is in place and the downstairs ceilings are finished, so whatever happens does so on top of the subfloor. The hardwood is 3/4 oak plank. The radiant, using transfer plates, requires a second subfloor a half inch thick, to accommodate the Pex under the oak planks. Footfall transfer so far is atrocious. A pair of playful 12-pound kitties have inspired us to coin the phrase "thundering cats."

Glue is out. I live in a humid climate, and the oak will dry quickly at the start of the heating season. But I've read that nails through soundproofing degrade its performance.

So I have two preliminary ideas I'm hoping you can rate for me.:

I nail the oak planks through half-inch cork, accept the added sound transmission and throw down rugs in high traffic areas. Have I accomplished anything?

I lay down mufflerfloor or similar; use yellow pine or similar dense wood for the second subfloor (cheap as plywood here in Mennonite country) and use short screws and glue to build a two-ply floating floor. I have to hold the floor build up to 1.25 inches so the base and soundproofing can't be any thicker. With two dense floors on it, the soundproofing will be compressed more than usual.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Soundproofer

Re: Soundproofing hardwood floor
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Hey I understand you're problem. You should have a look at this infographic which shows what you can do to a hardwood floor to soundproof it
http://www.soundproofingonline.co.uk/the-ultimate-guide-to-soundproofing-a-room

anything