Author Topic: In-Ceiling Speakers  (Read 3774 times)

Scott

In-Ceiling Speakers
« on: December 30, 2001, 06:52:16 PM »
In my house we installed in-ceiling speakers. These speakers are installed in the channels between the studs (there is no other insulation in the channels).
The speakers can be clearly heard in the rooms above the speakers.  Is there anything we can do (by retrofitting, I do not want to rip the ceiling down :-) to reduce or eliminate the transmission of sound to the second floor? (we can access the channels through a 12 inch circular hole left by removing the speakers)
Thanks

bjnash

Re: In-Ceiling Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 09:13:18 PM »
: In my house we installed in-ceiling speakers. These speakers are installed in the channels between the studs (there is no other insulation in the channels).
: The speakers can be clearly heard in the rooms above the speakers.  Is there anything we can do (by retrofitting, I do not want to rip the ceiling down :-) to reduce or eliminate the transmission of sound to the second floor? (we can access the channels through a 12 inch circular hole left by removing the speakers)
: Thanks
Sorry Scott, no luck I'm afraid.  The sound in those channels will duct everywhere.  Best to remove them and mount them in speaker boxes isolated from the ceiling by some distance.  This may reduce the sound somewhat. Barrier mat could then be used between them and the ceiling.

anything